'Christ, our eternal hope' -John Donne!

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Toma, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    John Donne, of those who have died in Christ:
    They shall awake as Jacob did, and say as Jacob said, 'Surely the Lord is in this place, and this is no other but the house of God, and the gate of heaven'. And into that gate they shall enter, and in that house they shall dwell, where there shall be no Cloud nor Sun, no darknesse nor dazling, but one equall light, no noyse nor silence, but one equall musick, no fears nor hopes, but one equal possession, no foes nor friends, but an equall communion and Identity, no ends nor beginnings; but one equall eternity.

This is our eternal life: built upon the foundation of the most precious blood of Christ.
    How well do these words capture your vision of our Christian hope in God at the End of the Universe?
    Please say it at least gives you shivers. :)

2. Incense

Incense Active Member

This is beyond words to explain Consular, the Eternal life, true true life we have and will have more and more in Christ Jesus.
    This reminded me a lot, and it's been lately so much on my mind and heart, the verse 10 in Psalm 84:
    For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Lowly Layman and Toma like this.
  3. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    Revelation, chapter 4, gives us a glimpse of Heaven and the throne of our holy God:

"After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald. And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold. And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

Lowly Layman and Toma like this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Very beautiful words consular. It puts me in me in mind of what I consider to be the most hopeful words in all of the BCP. The beginning of the funeral rite: "I AM the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die. I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though this body be destroyed, yet shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not as a stranger. We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." This is my hope.

Old Christendom and Toma like this.
  5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Wonderful...

Toma likes this.
  6. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    For anyone who is interested, the sermon from which the quote is taken is Donne CXLVI, 146, preached on February 29, 1627, in Whitehall, on Acts 7:60. The man was a prolific sermon-writer and Divine.