Is there something like Catechesis or RCIA in the Anglican Church?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Dallas Rivera, Oct 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dallas Rivera

Dallas Rivera New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Or are there classes where they educate you on Anglican theology? If so how long are the meetings typically? Thanks :)

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I can speak for ACNA which is the largest branch of orthodox Anglicanism in the United States.

The question you ask is right now being developed, as the painful contention with the Episcopal Church is only now beginning to settle down. It was very painful and very recent for us. Quite a few of us are still in danger of persecution by TEC lawyers and the inquisition.

Many of the formal elements are only now beginning to be standardized throughout the Province, including the Prayer Book, but more pertinently to your question, the Anglican Catechism. The first edition was just recently published and it is being revised for another edition to come out soon. That is one good place. Another good place is to begin using the Prayer Book itself, which has a lot of Anglican doctrine embedded right in it; and the Church Catechism which dates from the sixteenth century... http://www.anglican.net/doctrines/church-catechism/

Additionally if you are blessed enough to have a large and well-developed parish near you, they will very likely have a strong catechetical program already in place (since they are aware of the continuing solidification of the Province).

Dallas Rivera likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Most parishes should have a catechism or confirmation prep class. Typically, the material will cover the three creeds (maybe not the Athanasian), the two Dominical sacraments, and perhaps a bit of the liturgy. The catechism in the BCP is extremely simplistic. I know some catechists who use Martin Luther's "Small Catechism" instead.

I think parishes should have a class on the Articles of Religion at least every other year. Revisiting the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral from time to time is also good. But what virtually every parish I have ever encountered really needs is a class that teaches good Bible reading methods.

Dallas Rivera likes this.