Hi there

Discussion in 'New Members' started by David Carrig, Jan 10, 2021.

1. David Carrig

David Carrig New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello -

Greetings from Daytona Beach, FL! Just wanted to drop a quick first post - just joined to learn more about Anglicanism. I am in no way shape or form an expert - but I have recently started using the prayer book put out by the ACNA for personal devotion and now I want to know more.... Blessings to you all....

Dave C

Dave Kemp, bwallac2335 and Stalwart like this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome among us. The new ACNA Prayer Book I will leave to others who have used it.

David Carrig likes this.
  3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Glad you are here. I love the BCP 2019

David Carrig likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Greetings. What church tradition do you come out of, and how did you encounter the Prayerbook?

5. David Carrig

David Carrig New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks for asking, Stalwart - I retired from the military after 30 years of service a couple of years ago - and have unfortunately had to change churches every few years for quite some time and still really haven't landed on my feet with regards to your question. We (my lovely wife and I) have primarily gone to conservative (sometimes calvinistic) Baptist churches as we've moved around the country. We are currently members of a small Baptist church in our town. I was baptized and confirmed in the Episcopal Church but my folks left when I was a teenager (broke my heart) and never managed to go back as life got complicated.

Last December I came across the prayer book in looking for a different type of Bible reading plan for this year. I remembered the Daily Office readings from my youth and figured I'd find a prayer book - started searching online and came across the ACNA version - and started using it. I have also been listening the crossroads abbey daily prayer (both morning and evening) podcast for a few weeks now - which uses the 2019 BCP - and using these has just really enhanced my prayer life.

In looking into Anglicanism - I must say my interest is more geared toward the Anglo-Catholic side however. I'm very interested in learning more about that aspect of it. Don't see much about it - but want to learn more about the APA - hoping some folks here are part of it and can tell me about it at some point.

6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I don't think we have anyone from the APA here but Shane R is an Orthodox Anglican Priest and is very knowledgeable about the Anglican Continuum

David Carrig likes this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    :signwelcome: Glad you joined and I hope we can be helpful.

I was raised Roman Catholic but left in 1985 for Protestant pastures. But a couple years ago the Lord led me to an ACNA Anglican parish. Telling my story to the rector, he observed something to the effect that "you can take the man out of the liturgy, but you can't take the liturgy out of the man." And it hit me, how right he was at least in my case; after more than 30 years away from the liturgy, it was still calling to me. Sounds like it's calling to you, too. :)

8. David Carrig

David Carrig New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    That may very well be the case, my friend. I did love it and reading the prayer book has brought me much comfort. I am contemplating visiting an APA parish down the road from me - unfortunately no ACNA close by...

9. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Florida is sort of the heartland of APA. It has been Archbishop Grundorf's home for many years. There are a couple of small and struggling parishes on the Gulf coast but most of the Florida parishes are plugging along and doing work. A lot of them have recently had younger clergy come in to breathe a breath of fresh air. I hope you have a good experience with the APA.

David Carrig likes this.
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Was holiday home to Bishop Brennan too I think.

11. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I don't know much about APA churches, but if it helps, my son is quite knowledgeable about IPAs.... :cheers:

Alphabet soup... :laugh:

David Carrig likes this.
  12. David Carrig

David Carrig New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    :D
    I know all about IPA’s too!:D I heard those churches are rather hoppy....:yes:

13. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I struggle to keep up with all the varieties of Anglicanism you have in North Amercia. I do wish people would write out the full word before they first use an abbreviation. I am getting used to many of your abbreviations. Howver, APA is a new one of me. Please tell me what APA is.

Botolph likes this.
  14. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anglican Province of America: https://anglicanprovince.org/

Though they do have several international partnerships. Most notably in the Philippines and Haiti.

PDL and Botolph like this.
  15. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thanks for the information and the link.

Shane R likes this.
  16. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There's a dizzying list of various Anglican or Evangelical episcopal groups here: http://anglicansonline.org/communion/nic.html

A lot of them are tiny and only marginally Anglican. There are a couple on that list that are defunct or near to it. A few do not appear Anglican in any obvious way, other than having an episcopate with some claim to Apostolic succession. And though the website managers made a valiant effort, they missed quite a few in the Spanish speaking countries.

17. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    If you want to know anything abotu the 2019 BCP and its similarities and differences with previous editions, just ask!

bwallac2335 likes this.
  18. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    It is certainly dizzying. I think it's the Protestant disease. I don't like the way things are going so I'm off to found my own church.

Botolph likes this.
  19. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    http://www.anglicansonline.org/communion/nic.html

I don't know how up to date this list is. I know of two groups in Australia who are not on this list. And the complexity does not end there, for we now also have the Catholic Apostolic Church in Australia (ICAB), whose clergy possess valid Catholic Orders through the Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church (ICAB), and whose licence to conduct marriages is help through the Church of the Torres Straight (An Anglican Breakaway Church), and whose eucharistic Rite would be most familiar to traditional Anglicans being as it is essentially English Missal.

I do not always agree with the direction of things, and even when I do I don't like many of the ways people go about achieving them. None the less looking at the degree of fragmentation makes me think that this is not what Jesus prayed for in the garden, for we have to be degrading the effectiveness of our witness in the world. It seems quite easy to break churches into many pieces, and very much more difficult to put them back together. In Australia the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches combined so instead of three we then had four churches, the Uniting, The Continuing Presbyterian, The Continuing Wesleyan, and the Continuing Congregational.

Lambeth 2022 does not even look like addressing any of this mess. The Anglican Church of Australia (the one that is in the Anglican Communion) also struggles with unity, and on major issues like single gender matrimony and later term abortions with have different Bishops making opposing submissions to the State Legislature who were looking for ethical guidance on these matters.

we believe one holy catholic and apostolic church​

Shane R likes this.
  20. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Surely the fragmentaion results from individuals gathering around themselves, like minded diciples. Their mistake being, instead of being unified as disciples of Jesus Christ they have become followers of those who want to legislate the world and the church into conformity to the will of God, as they themselves understand it.

Fragmentation groups can usually be identified by their tendency to think themselves to be more right about something 'religious' than the people they consider to be 'wrong' about it.