Orthodox and Anglicans

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Toma, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    In this picture, I previously posted, Anglican priest serving Anglican Eucharist in Serbian Church cense the icon in analagoion:

[​IMG]

Is this respecting, to cense the icon?

If this is respecting, then, where is the difference between him and some orthodox priest I can not see.

2. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Depending from which side someone look at the problem. For some Orthodox one Anglican may be superstitious if he fears to kiss the Christ icon believing that the Christ will have something against it.

3. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I've just returned from a long morning of duty within my parish and twice I have censed Icons!
    They are not worshipped, but treated with respect! We ask the saints for their prayers and intercessions. We have always done so it would appear to me and neither the Church nor very few others can find anything wrong with the gesture! It is simply a recognition and a sign of respect!

Servos likes this.
  4. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    My brother in Christ, I do not disagree with your assessment, much like a genuflection before the altar, but would you find it disturbing if your Priest suggested that nursing mothers perform this task under a designated icon for a better outcome? Therein lies my concern.

Jeff

5. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Sorry for using the wrong word. English, of course, is not my native language.
    We do not worship icons.

6. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Servos likes this.
  7. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    I'm impressed.:)
    Thank you for sharing this.

8. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Several months ago in Belgrade was symposioum about St. Maximus
    http://saint-maximus.pbf.rs

9. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Address by Metropolitan Hilarion to the Annual Nicean Club Dinner in Lambeth Palace, 9 September 2010

Your Grace, ladies and gentlemen, distinguished guests,

At the outset, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to His Grace Archbishop Rowan Williams for inviting me to address the members of the Nicean Club. Your Grace, we highly value your personal contribution to inter-Christian dialogue and your commitment to keep the Anglican Communion unified. We know your love of the Russian Orthodox Church, of its saints and great theologians, of its spiritual tradition. We assure you of our continual support and prayers.

The name of the Club – Nicean – takes us back to that blessed era when Christians throughout the world, both in the East and in the West, were united. At the same time, however, that was a period of bitter struggle with heresies and many church schisms. Thanks to the unanimity both of the Western and Eastern Fathers in understanding Church teaching and in standing together with steadfast faith, the Universal Church at its Council in 325 renounced and condemned a heresy that undermined the very foundations of Christian doctrine. At the same time the Church was able to formulate that faith in the Holy Trinity which has survived throughout subsequent centuries. Archbishop Rowan Williams, in his "Arius: Heresy and Tradition", has provided us with a profound analysis of Arianism from historical, theological and philosophical perspectives. He describes Arianism as an ‘archetypal Christian deviation’, which tends to rise again and again under various names...

Full article:
    http://mospat.ru/en/2010/09/10/news25819/
    and
    http://mospat.ru/en/2010/09/10/news25745/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

highchurchman likes this.
  10. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
  11. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Prince Charles contributing to the restoration of Serbian Hilandar monastery

30. July 2011

A fundraising reception for the reconstruction of the Serbian Hilandar Monastery on Mount Athos was held on July 28th at the official home of the family of the Prince of Wales and was hosted by Charles, the Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles regularly visits Mount Athos and Hilandar Monastery, during which he saw up close the size of the destruction caused by the fire on 4 March 2004.
    It is true that Prince Charles and his father the Duke of Edinburgh, honorary members of the Friends of Mount Athos in the United Kingdom, contributed actively to Mount Athos and the Monastery.

The Palace of St. James, the official residence and office of the Prince of Wales, later in the year expressed its gratitude for the hospitality, and readiness to lend assistance with regard to the restoration of frescoes in the old Monastery of St. Basil on the sea, which is owned by Chilandar.

Prince Philip, the husband of the British Queen and father of Prince Charles, is of Christian Orthodox origin and maintains very personal relations with Mt. Athos. He has passed on his love of Orthodox spirituality and Mt. Athos to the future king of Great Britain with whom he visits the monastic republic in Greece on a regular basis each year...

[​IMG]
    Prince Charles with Serbian monastery Abbot Methodios

[​IMG]
    Prince Charles, Serbia's Ambassador to Britain and Abbot Methodios

[​IMG]

Full article:
    http://www.spc.rs/eng/prince_charles_hosts_reception_hilandar_monastery_appeal
    http://www.athosfriends.org/appeals/Hilandar/Hilandar3-9a-04.html
    http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/...ing-to-the-restoration-of-hilandar-monastery/
    http://www.hilandar.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=166&Itemid=99

highchurchman likes this.
  12. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
  13. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

No I don't think so. Showing respect for someone or something that an icon symbolizes is not the same as worshipping the image, no is it any different than kneeling at the altar or genuflecting or bowing as the cross passes during the procession. People that have a problem with this must equally have a problem with saluting or pledging to the flag. But then, I'm no authority.

Servos likes this.
  14. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    British Orthodox priest Stephen Platt about Orthodox-Anglican dialogue

15. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    The Orthodox-Anglican Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius and the joint Orthodox-Anglican Journal Sobornost
    www.sobornost.org

16. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There's a difference between "I vow to thee, my country", and "Hail most-holy Theotokos, highly-favoured one who merited to be the mother of God". ;)

I don't believe an honest Orthodox person can convert to Anglicanism and retain the bowing-toward & kissing-of icons. For one, the 39 Articles are against it, as is the spirit of the Reformation. For another, iconic theology is not merely showing respect to a person symbolized - it is communicating with that person via the "window" of the icon, which is superstition. We all know how statue-smashing and image-defacing were popular pass-times in the 16th century.

17. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Ambassador of Great Britain in Serbia Stephen Woodsworth visits Patriarchate

13. July 2009

His Eminence Serbian Metropolitan Amfilohije of Montenegro and the Littoral received today in Belgrade Ambassador of the United Kingdom HE Stephen Woodsworth in a formal visit.

The Ambassador expressed in Serbian, he knew very well, his enjoyment for having an honor to be for the first time in his diplomatic career in the Patriarchate of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

The talks were about all times in which two nations found the common language, as the times when our two Churches had good relations, the great cooperation and great friends. Regarding this Metropolitan especially thought of Serbian Saint bishop Nicholas Velimirovich and Anglican bishop of Chichester George Bell.

[​IMG]

http://www.spc.rs/eng/ambassador_great_britain_he_stephen_woodsworth_visits_patriarchate

18. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

The Reformation in England was at the most 140 years, (g,& t. out of two thousand years. If the icon is not being intentionally worshipped, I can see no harm done!,as for ,'communicating ..via the window,' ? When I was in Jerusalem ,along with many others, I kissed the altar stone on which Our Lord was reputedly laid out before his burial. I was fain & glad beyond measure, if Our Lord had not been laid out there, what was that? If he had, I was lucky beyond my wildest dreams!

19. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Further to the above subject, Orthodox and Anglicans.

Whatever we might think, traditional Anglicanism , is nothing more than Western Orthodoxy ! Which is Christ's revelation, scripture and the Seven Councils. We would be kidding ourselves and others if we were to say otherwise. You cannot be an Anglican and not believe the Traditional faith ,certainly not for the term to mean anything!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  20. Servos

Servos Active Member

Serbia
    Religion:
    Church of Serbia
    Representative of Anglican Church visits Serbian Patriarchate
    24. April 2009

Today at Serbian Patriarchate His Eminence Metropolitan Amfilohije of Montenegro and the Littoral has received the Revd Donald Reeves, an Anglican priest.
    The Revd Donald Reeves conveyed greetings of the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams to Serbian people and the Church, and especially to Serbian Patriarch Paul and Metropolitan Amfilohije.

[​IMG]

http://www.spc.rs/eng/representative_anglican_church_visits_serbian_patriarchate