Keeping it to myself

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Jim the Lesser, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Jim the Lesser

Jim the Lesser New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for me to do is to keep my mouth shut and my fingers away from the keyboards where religion is concerned. I know what I believe, and I know that I didn’t make it up. The two main teachers of Anglicanism in my life were a retired Episcopal priest and a priest of a continuing Anglican province.

What they taught me apparently contradicts what people on this forum, and other forums, believe about Anglicanism. I guess that’s fine. After avoiding church for the past five years, I am adjusting. I need to figure things out, including what I believe. I found people to be so heartless and just wanting to argue. That is true more of Reddit than here, but I see it here as well.

I do not plan to leave the forum, but maybe it’s best. I’m not share my thoughts too much.

2. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Hi Jim,

I myself do not comment to much unless I feel a point has not been addressed. For myself, I came from an SBC background before finding a home in Anglicanism. While I am glad of what I gained there, and I didn't leave or flee from what happens there, I was done with the "battling baptists" and I was done with the fighting, and try not to engage in it unless it appears to be a healthy, respectful debate. So I hear what you are saying. I hope you don't walk away with your fingers burnt, so to speak.

Please know that there are, like other places, plenty of disagreements here. In the end, I ask myself "does salvation hinge on this particular point?" If it does, I examine it. If not, I'll listen but try not to get too emotionally invested. God has created us to think, and to have a sense of rightness, and so it makes sense to want to make sure everything is just so. But in the end, God knows our hearts, and our attempts to do what is right in His sight.

A lot of words to say..."I understand, and I hope you won't leave".

3. Jim the Lesser

Jim the Lesser New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think your approach sounds wise. Thank you. I don’t plan on going anywhere for now. I just need to decide what to comment on and what not to. It will hopefully be better for me.

4. StephenG

StephenG New Member

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    The prayer of Francis of Assisi seems relevant to this-

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
    where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    where there is sadness, joy.
    O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console,
    to be understood as to understand,
    to be loved as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive,
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

5. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I agree with your summation of our presence on this forum. I start few posts and no longer have the stamina or desire to constantly argue or defend my stance and my beliefs. I have said it before...in the end, it is between me and God. God bless.

Jim the Lesser, Magistos and StephenG like this.