Anglican and Methodist services

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Melkite, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Melkite

Melkite Member

United States
    Religion:
    Melkite Catholic
    Is anyone here familiar with both Anglican and Methodist liturgies? How similar or different are Methodist services from Anglican liturgies, either current or past?

Also, if anyone is well-read in the history of Methodist liturgics, was the service of the Methodist Episcopal Church more like the Anglican liturgy than it is today? Did the Methodists ever worship according to the BCP, or was their service altered from the CoE from the get-go?

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Yes indeed, the Methodists started out using a slightly modified version of the Prayer Book.

3. Melkite

Melkite Member

United States
    Religion:
    Melkite Catholic
    In what ways was it modified?

4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    IIRC, some of the Articles of Religion and some of the Psalms were excised. I’m sure there were other changes but those are the ones I recall.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am aware of pockets of Methodists who use the BCP. Wesley's service book did make a few excisions and modifications to the BCP.

Generally, Methodist culture in the places I've ministered is a-liturgical. They have tended to embrace the seeker-sensitive format and/or contemporary worship forms. It's rare to find a Methodist church serving Holy Communion more than once a month. The rest of the time the services tend to follow the format of: music, pep talk, prayer, benediction. In the area where I live you are hard pressed to get the clergy into a decent shirt and tie, much less vestments.

6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    The Methodist Church I grew up in moved more and more low church over time. GRowing up it was vestments and the by the book communion service. Now it is suit and basically a Baptist service with the words of institution only during communion.