Origins of the BCP favouring/opting for general absolution.

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by David, Jul 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Evening all.

Hope all are well who read this post.

My question is:

The BCP has within it the general absolution as the main source of absolution (I understand auricular confession is within the BCP). Within the CofE auricular confession has to be sought as opposed to general confession.

What was the theology for opting for general absolution as the main source of such liturgy?

Kind regards

David.
    Hull.

Elmo likes this.
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    From my understanding they wanted to get away from abuses that took place from private confession and they also wanted to get back to the early churches use is a public confession

David and Elmo like this.
  3. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    This is true for the most part. A general confession and some form of absolution (within the liturgy) were the norm for the average layperson. Personal confession was always present within the Church but initially consisted of confessing major sins (apostasy, murder, etc.) to the Bishop in front of a gathering of the faithful. Private confession also existed from the beginning but was made to a spiritual father in an early form of spiritual direction.

Private confession as we know it today was started by the Irish monks through the Irish Penitential system. It didn't become standard or mandated practice within the Western Church until the mid-1200s.

As a Roman Catholic, I think private confession is extremely important and I gladly accept my Church's teaching on the matter but I can understand the Anglican position. If I'm not mistaken some of the Oriental Orthodox hold a similar practice of general confession with optional private confession.

David, Elmo and bwallac2335 like this.
  4. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Basically the further East you go outside of Egypt, auricular confession becomes less common. The Armenians and Assyrians are like us Anglicans in how they do confessoin

David, Spiritus and Elmo like this.
  5. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I knew I'd heard that before but I could never remember which Church it was. Thanks!

David and bwallac2335 like this.
  6. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Auricular confession developed independently in the Coptic Church also. You saw it develop from the Irish in the West and the Copts in the East

David likes this.
  7. Distraught Cat

Distraught Cat Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Did the Copts also develop it in the course of their monasticism? Monasticism is mostly derived from Egyptian models isn't it?

David likes this.
  8. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Don't hold me to that but I do believe that was so

David likes this.
  9. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It sprang up in the region that was to become the ambit of the Coptic Church, however, it is before we could specifically identify them as Copts, in that clear separation occurred around 451 AD and the Council of Chalcedon.

10. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    If thieves broke into a Coptic building and they made a movie about it, would it be a Copts and Robbers story? :rolleyes: (you may groan now.)

David likes this.
  11. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    • Milad Makeen Zaky
    • Abanub Ayad Atiya
    • Maged Soliman Shehata
    • Youssef Shukry Younan
    • Kirollos Boshra Fawzy
    • Bishoy Astafanous Kamel
    • Samuel Astafanous Kamel
    • Malak Ibrahim Sinyout
    • Tawadros Youssef Tawadros
    • Gerges Milad Sinyout
    • Mina Fayez Aziz
    • Hany Abdel Mesih Salib
    • Samuel Alham Wilson
    • Ezzat Boshra Naseef
    • Luka Nagaty Anis
    • Gaber Mounir Adly
    • Essam Baddar Samir
    • Malak Farag Abrahim
    • Sameh Salah Farouk
    • Gerges Samir Megally
    • Mathew Ayairga (from Ghana)

† Rest eternal grant to them, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon them!

12. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    @Botolph , not sure why you quoted my pun to post the names of deceased individuals?? Sort of weird. (Do you Aussies ever refer to policeman-type shows as "cops and robbers"?)

13. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Perhaps if you did a Google search for the people on the list you would then understand why I posted it. They are not simply deceased persons, but Holy Martyrs of the Coptic Orthodox Church. They may be a smallish Church, only about as big as the Anglican Church, however, they face inordinate challenges, and they deserve our respect and prayers. They are not an object of amusement.
    CopticMartyrs.jpg

PDL likes this.
  14. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Some people have zero sense of humor, and that's fine, but no need to be critical toward those who do. In no way is a little wordplay disrespectful of martyrs.

Do you get all upset when you hear someone make a joke about Anglicans, too?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  15. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I probably would have been pretty happy with it on a Coptic Forum, where people were displaying there their own self-deprecating humour, however, I don't think it belongs in Anglican Forums, and I probably simply wanted to assure any passing reader that some Anglicans do get it. But then again there have always those who Anglican and those who Anglicant.

PDL likes this.
  16. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sincere thanks for your reply Sir.