What do you expect from a priest?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by kestrel, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    What do you think is it to be expected from an ordained minister? Jump in, let's have a thoughtful discussion

2. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Well, last time I've heard the ideal for a priest is to become like a shadow of our Lord for the benefit of God's people... so that's a pretty hard job description :).

And one to take seriously :|

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think perhaps it might be useful to examine God's word on the subject:

The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer[a] must be above reproach, the husband of one wife,[b] sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

(1 Timothy 3:1 - 7)

For an overseer,[c] as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound[d] doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

(Titus 1:7-9)

4. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Yep Scottish Knight it is all there written plainly in the scriptures. All questions about doctrine should always pass the test of scripture IMHO.

5. halleluia

halleluia Member

Indeed, the scripture test is important. The priest should be godly and base his views on the life of Christ, the Church Fathers, and the Anglican divines.

6. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    1 Peter 5

1 To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.

7. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    We have been sharing about what God expects from a priest

But what about the Christian people and the world. Do they expect from a priest the same thing that God expects?

8. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I want a priest to be a moral leader, someone I can respect whose personal behavior does not make me cringe. Beyond that, I enjoy priests that are smarter than I am. I want a priest who can inspire me with teaching about our Lord and Savior and what it means to live the Christian life. I want a priest who challenges me to grow in the faith.

Scottish Knight and kestrel like this.
  9. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Endue Thy ministers with righteousness and make Thy chosen people joyful

I love this line from Morning Prayers and Evensong; it's beautiful to see how the two are linked.

10. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've been reminded of a mature Christian I knew who told me how he first became interested in Christianity. He went to church first to cause trouble one evening. The minister caught him, grabbed him before ramming him against the wall.

He told me he liked the minister from this moment becuase he wasn't a wimp like he thought all Christians were. Eventually he became a Christian himself.

11. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    That is an unusual expectation :)