Extraterrestrials and the Gospel

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Lowly Layman, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The link below is to a news report about an alleged visitation by extraterrestrial travellers to Las Vegas that came across my newsfeed:

https://toofab.com/2023/06/08/las-vegas-aliens-police-bodycam/

Thinking about that, I'd like the forums' insights about how the Gospel might be impacted should it turn out that extraterrestrials are real.

For example, does Christ's salvific work on the cross extend to aliens? Likewise, would aliens need salvation if the stain of Adam's original sin only flows to Adam's descendents, ie, humans?

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Several of my colleagues are interested in this stuff and they all, in complete unity, attribute it to demonic activity meant to deceive.

Br. Thomas and Rexlion like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

I think that's interesting. I recall reading a book about Columbus. He thought roughly the same about the inhabitants of the "New World". That opinion hasn't aged well.

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Wierd thinking that though. Did he think he and his crew had arrived in hell?

5. Lowly Layman

IDK. I think the Puritans and Spanish Catholic clergy shared the same view of the New World and its inhabitants. That the Devil controlled it and that the American Indians were cannibalistic, demonic, and bewitched. This fueled the religiomaniacal zeal to purge the wilderness of evil and conquer for Christ at the cost of millions of lives and whole civilizations. And those who they didn't kill became victims of the worst kinds of racism, which has persisted into this very generation. I recall as a child hearing older folks snickeringly refer to Native Americans as "red devils" and "savages". Even now, professional sports teams and universities shamelessly coopt and cash in on these noble cultures. It's truly a travesty.

Invictus likes this.
  6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Such biggotted and arrogant racism was extremely beneficial to those who held it and weilded it like a weapon though, in THIS life at least.

Niblo and Lowly Layman like this.
  7. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Yes, a strange thinking!