My thoughts on Eastern Orthodoxy

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Stalwart, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Barnaby

Barnaby Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't know much about theology ( as the song might have gone ) but I'm inclined to doubt the genuineness of this image :)

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    There is a basic, fundamental rule of ritual in Eastern Orthodoxy that is reinforced over and over again: do not venerate the living. For that reason alone, I seriously doubt the genuineness of the picture.

3. Paul Robson

Paul Robson New Member

Denmark
    Religion:
    Orthodox
    The picture of men kissing an "icon" of Putin is obviously a smear. But the saints are alive so this answer that "Orthodox do not venerate the living" is wrong. Even Christ said that God is the God of the living and not the dead. On the other hand we do not venerate political leaders, only the saints.

4. Paul Robson

Paul Robson New Member

Denmark
    Religion:
    Orthodox

I do not think I have heard of a more ridiculous approach to history than this - that the value and merits of the Byzantine Empire being measured by the length of a Wikipedia article on inventions from there.

As Orthodox, we have a different measure of value and merit - that is especially see in the Orthodox saints who lived and died in Byzantium. So while this Anglican apparently thinks that inventing new "stuff" is the only valuable thing a culture can do, then the Orthodox will continue to know and experience God.

Botolph and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    It is also hard to invent a lot of things when you are under assault for roughly 800 continuous years.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Paul Robson

Paul Robson New Member

Denmark
    Religion:
    Orthodox
    I am not sure if that is the case. In fact I think one could easily argue that the main driver of technological change is conflict and the military. Just recently, the Western empire with it materialism and all its conflicts produced atomic energy, the internet, etc - from military R&D.

My point is that the value of a culture is not measured by the amount of new technologies it invents. That is a very worldly measure, and nothing to do with the Christian life. The value of a Christian empire of culture is the men and women who lived Holy, Godly lives.

St Paul from Philippians 3: 8
    "Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Well they actually innovated a lot in military affairs. I was thinking of more practical things. Either way I am a big fan of Byzantium.

Botolph likes this.
  8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Ancient Romans did many creative things in science, literature, culture. The Greeks invented many things. Even the Arabs were incredibly inventive, with science, medicine, Avicenna etc being some of the greatest Aristotelian philosophers in history. But apart from Hagia Sophia inherited from the late RomanEmpire, Byzantium had nothing great in any aspect of human endeavor. They were mentally barren for a thousand years. Do you deny this?

9. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Byzantium, or Nova Romanium, or Constantinople as it came to be called was indeed the Capital of the Roman Empire longer than Rome. Constantinople was the pre-eminent city of the day, and the only great city dedicated to the God of the Christians and under the patronage of the Virgin Mother of God. I think your assessment os mean-spirited.

10. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    History can be mean sometimes. Don’t be afraid to look facts in the face.

As for great cities, I think you mean 10th century Baghdad. Christians had a far richer intellectual culture there than in Constantinople: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahya_ibn_Adi

upload_2024-1-25_20-17-35.jpeg

11. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    No, I didn't.

12. Distraught Cat

Distraught Cat Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian