Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Tom Barrial, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Didn't our government once rule that a black person is only 2/3 the value of a white person? Our government doesn't make mistakes!

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    That's a 'Straw Man'. No one is arguing that government is infallible. But government does not need to be infallible in order to be obeyed when it issues commands. And to compare various state and federal COVID policies to the Three-Fifths Compromise is grotesque.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  3. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I began this thread because as a newcomer to Angelicalism,I sincerely wanted to know it's beliefs in respect the sign gifts. I don't know any of you. I'm not a Maga guy. I realized that I am more than happy in any retorical exchange exchange of words; and I have. I now have got a much understanding of my new church home.

Rexlion likes this.
  4. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I think the best way to describe it would be a 'noncommittal openness'. Most Anglican parishes that I know of are not charismatic, but there are some that are. The ones that are not, are by and large happy to remain that way, but also have no desire to interfere with the ones that are.

5. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm glad you did not contact COVID neither did I I followed every rule. I'm not an idiot. Why do you think that your stream of name calling, verbal diarrria is helpful

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think we wriggled when the evidence that was asked for was deemed 'scientific'. Clearly the whole premise of faith is that it is one step beyond science - not anti-science.

I would not expect the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be ultimately scientifically provable, as that would take us out of the faith space.

Did the child survive because of prayer, the doctor, a divine intervention, or whatever? Often very hard to determine absolutely, and perhaps not helpful beyond our need to give thanks to God.

Glossolalia is more complex, and generally one would want to understand the benefits. In general this would be private rather than public, and not to be a source of pride or spiritual arrogance.

As I said earlier, our real focus should be on the fruits of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Self-Control and Faithfullness.

7. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    There was no “stream of name calling,” and I certainly never called you an “idiot.”

8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Yes they do, that's why they get changed sometimes when sensible thinking voters notice that mistakes have been made, and probably still more will be going to follow if that once elected government stays in. Electorates are sometimes slow to notice mistakes though or quite prepared to put up with government mistakes as long as they're the same mistakes THEY would also have made too if THEY were the government. :laugh: Stupid people often elect stupid government.

Tom Barrial likes this.
  9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Is this irony or racist? Just asking!

10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Healing prayer services were trendy a few years ago but they didn't take on the appearance of a Benny Hinn event (most of the time.) Speaking in tongues would be unusual in an Anglican service but there are people who dabble in it outside of the main Sunday gathering.

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I think the Anglican church generally would reccommend its use in private prayer rather than in public worship. Scripture also supports that view.

12. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Both

13. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Irony is less common nowadays, largely due to "wash and wear" clothing. :laugh: Double entendres are on the upswing, however. ;)

Ananias and Invictus like this.
  14. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican

15. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's funny, but I think that a screen door in a submarine is funny

16. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Faithfulness and self control. It is usually the last of the 'fruit' to actually develop and become fully ripened in any believing individual.

Botolph and Tom Barrial like this.
  17. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I had to look this up!
    The Three-Fifths Clause of the United States Constitution (1787)
    Often misinterpreted to mean that African Americans as individuals are considered three-fifths of a person or that they are three-fifths of a citizen of the U.S., the three-fifths clause (Article I, Section 2, of the U.S. Constitution of 1787) in fact declared that for purposes of representation in Congress, enslaved blacks in a state would be counted as three-fifths of the number of white

18. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    So the government decided that a black persons vote is 3/5 of a white persons vote?

19. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Not exactly, I'm pretty sure it was just to count the population for purposes of figuring out how many representatives each state had. So if a state had a million non-black residents and 200,000 black residents, the state's total (for comparison to other states) would have been counted as 1,120,000. This gave northern states a bit of an edge over southern states in the House of Representatives (but not in the Senate since each state gets 2 senators no matter the population).

Tom Barrial and CRfromQld like this.
  20. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    tongues, prophetic words, casting out demons, etc.
    Even for those who are continuists these gifts are not universal. Some might have the gift of speaking in tongues (a foreign language), some prophecy, and some none at all.