Interesting Thoughts on Original Sin

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Invictus, Jul 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    I highlighted by the Word of GOD, the Word is GOD, there are three that testify in heaven-1John 5:7KJV.

1 - The Word, the Word is GOD, the Person of GOD Father;

2 - God the Son; the Word made flesh; JESUS, the EXPRESS IMAGE of the Person of the Father; JESUS said: I and my Father are One. His genealogy is in Luke 3:23-38. JESUS is a Jew.

3 - The Holy Spirit, who is not a ghost as is written in English language, but a Person; He has not genealogy. He has a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

The angel of the LORD, John the Baptist, was the first to testify that He that cometh from above is above all. And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony. He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that GOD is true. For he whom GOD hath sent speaketh the words of GOD: for GOD giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
    The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
    He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of GOD abideth on him. John 3:32-36

2. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    You seem happy to call this identity, Spirit, as you mention "Holy Spirit" but say he is not a ghost. Ghost is just another word for spirit. Can I quote Mat 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    KJV 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    ESV 1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify:

The essence of the problem here is that most scholars hold the view that the words following the comma in the KJV are an interpolation, something that has been added to the text at a later time. Accordingly, while not dismissing the passage out of hand, it does seem that it is not the place to build the argument from.

In terms of the Word is GOD, I am left unaware of what you are saying, given that you may be speaking of Logos or you may be speaking of graphos, or some other construct. Until we know what you are saying this is simply obscurification.

Jesus is of course God in the Flesh, and he was born a Jew in a Jewish household.

The reason why the Holy Spirit does not have a genealogy is that the Holy Spirit proceeds unbegotten from the Father.

John the Baptist leaves me wondering what you mean here, as I would find it odd to describe John the Baptist as an Angel, for indeed he was a cousin (loose familial connection)of Jesus.

John 3:31-36 The One Who Comes from Heaven
    The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks about earthly things. The one who comes from heaven is above all. He testifies to what he has seen and heard, yet no one accepts his testimony. Whoever has accepted his testimony has certified this, that God is true. He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. The Father loves the Son and has placed all things in his hands. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but must endure God’s wrath.​

This passage affirms the priority of Jesus in relation to John the Baptist. The purpose of John's Gospel is to tell us who Jesus is.

What any of this has to do with original sin as a topic is a matter of wonder. I suspect that the thread has been derailed.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

The thread has been cleaned up and closed for veering far off-topic.

Br. Thomas and Botolph like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.