What does everyone think of metrical Psalms?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by DadHocHypothesis, Jul 21, 2022.

1. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

I know that today, that sounds like a niche, Truly Reformed™ subject, but from what I understand, they were favored by the Laudians to encourage participation and beautify the service where chant wasn't possible (to do well, anyway).

Does anyone use them today? What are some good ones?

anglican74 likes this.
  2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You are in my wheelhouse! I'm not the best chanter but I can do a couple of Psalms each Sunday.

bwallac2335 and anglican74 like this.
  3. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Man, if your mission was in Greater Cleveland...

(Follow up: what are Anglican missions/outreach like? Why don't we see more of it?)

4. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Muskingum County friend. We don't see more missions because the church planting culture is not strong. I teach the catechism every week.

5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Metrical Psalms are fantastic, I’d love to see more of it, nothing «reformed» about that, all Christians love it, wish we’d see more of it

bwallac2335 likes this.
  6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    We need a video of this

7. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I've always had a fondness for shape-note singing (or "sacred harp" singing, named after the hymnal). It's an acquired taste, to be sure: to many, shape-note singing is simply a graceless drone. But it lingers in my mind and heart because it seems to float upward in a way that modern hymnody does not. I can almost hear the angels singing along when shape-note singers are in the groove.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  8. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was raised in the Church of Christ (non-instrumental) tradition. The only music was shape note singing. I've seen the tradition in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Kentucky,Tennessee, and Virginia.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I have seen it done. I could see where it would be beautiful

10. Ananias

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Yes - I first heard it in some Primitive Baptist churches I went to long ago in southeast PA and Kentucky.

11. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are several metrical psalms in The Hymnal 1982. One of my favorites in Hymn #616, "Hail to the Lord's anointed"/Es flog ein kleins Waldwögelein, James Montgomery's metrical version of Psalm 72.

DadHocHypothesis likes this.
  12. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Even though I was raised Campbellite, I have only seen a shape-note hymnal once in my life (the difference between "Church of Christ" and "Christian Church" is surprisingly big). However, I did like the sample in the video. It kind of reminds me of Obihod or Kievan chant, both of which I already love.

Shane R likes this.
  13. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I just remembered this volume recently:
    The Saint Andrew's Metrical Psalter
    by John E Haines

We tried it a few times at my old parish. The concept was sound but the tunes were only familiar to the organist and 1 or 2 old ladies whose kids had participated extensively in choir or glee club. So in short, you had to be a certain age and background to use much of it.

John Haines had been the professor of sacred music at our seminary and the director of the music program at a very large Presbyterian church. The concept was to use tunes from mostly American music of the 19th century.

14. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I've never heard of 'shape note' singing. Is that anything like 'singing in the spirit' that charismatics go in for sometimes?

Metrical psalms? would those be like Crimmond, psalms massaged into rhyming lines. Arn't those effectively hymns adapted from psalms? Old 100th (All people that on earth do dwell), being a very famous one. Oh God our help in ages past, would be another.

For purity of the words set to chant, I don't think you can beat Anglican Chant. Even Anglican congregations somewhat lack the discipline to sing them well though and early Methodists much preferred metrical versions, (therefore, rhyming HYMNS). More easily committed to memory too.

15. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WtyZotP1tY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyrUhdBHOg8

From my understanding Shape Note Singing/Sacred Harp are distinctly American things.

16. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    bwallac2335 likes this.
  17. Ananias

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    The style was founded in America, but it's found large uptake in the UK in recent years. The Irish have some of the largest shape-note singing groups around, and it's got some dedicated fans in Scotland and England as well. I don't know much about Europe, but I've heard that shape-note has made inroads in parts of Germany, Sweden, and Denmark as well.

18. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
  19. Ananias

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
  20. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

It's just been brought to my attention that metrical Psalms were not traditionally used for the Psalms appointed in the Office, apparently. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It seems like the place where they'd be used the most!