From Catholic to Episcopalian

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Clare, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Clare

Clare New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I have been attending the Episcopal Church recently. Until this year, I have been Roman Catholic, and was actually a traditionalist for a number of years, attending the traditional Latin Mass.

I am tired of the fanaticism I have come across in traditionalist circles. On one traditional site, several people actually said that gay people should be slowly and painfully executed. Since I am gay and nonbinary, I was appalled at this.

I have attended the Episcopal Church for certain periods in the past, but never was received. I have signed up for the new member/confirmation class beginning in the fall at my church. I intend to be received by the bishop in November.

One thing that appeals to me about the Episcopal Church is that it is in communion with the Old Catholic Churches of the Union of Utrecht. I have an interest in the Old Catholic churches.

I joined the forum today.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Welcome! Always good to see a new Episcopalian member!

Kyle De Wolf, Clare and bwallac2335 like this.
  3. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I am in Australia so I made the switch from Roman Catholic to Anglican. Much better. Welcome to the forum. There are differences of opinion here but it seems ok to disagree (so far). Gay, bi, whatever, welcome.

Kyle De Wolf and Invictus like this.
  4. Clare

Clare New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Thank you, Invictus. I have enjoyed reading your posts here.

5. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Thank you! That is very kind. :)

6. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome! I hope you find your time here meaningful.

Invictus likes this.
  7. Bert Gallagher

Bert Gallagher New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome to the forum! I hope you find love and truth here.

Invictus likes this.
  8. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome to the forum, Clare. I do hope we can be of assistance to you in learning about the Anglican church.

I am sorry you had that experience with the Traditional Catholics. I know some and they are not all like that. While the Catholic Church says sexual acts outside heterosexual marriage are sinful it does not hate those who commit such acts nor does it seek to harm those who do. It does teach that gay people are human beings who are deserving of dignity and should be treated with love and respect. Indeed, that is how all us Christians should treat not just gay people but anybody.

Tiffy and Rexlion like this.
  9. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
  10. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I think anyone who isn’t an internet fringe troglodyte is probably appalled at a suggestion like that. I would pay them no heed.

Invictus and Tiffy like this.
  11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I don't know about paying them 'no heed' though. Those types need to be actively OPPOSED and exposed as the unbelieving wicked, tares sown by Satan amid the wheat.

Nosegay of Virtues likes this.
  12. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I don’t know. There are so many varieties of basement dwelling internet whacko that I just don’t find I have the energy to take them seriously.

I’d also add that they in no way speak for the Roman Catholic Church or anything even adjacent to it.

13. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    What I am liking most about the Episcopal church is that there is room for a diversity of good-faith theological opinion.

Different people have genuinely different ideas about theology and I don’t think that makes them mutually incompatible. I like that I can receive at the same table as a Calvinist and an Anglo-Catholic. It seems very, I dunno, catholic to do that.

As long as we can agree on the basics of the faith then I don’t see a good reason to live apart from one another.