Church of England: There is ‘no official definition’ of a woman

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    That's what I get for believing Newsweek.com . I need to get my head out of MSM and back to Epoch Times... :rofl:

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You haven't met my wife! :biglaugh: But I can't complain; she at least has some sense of humor. :whistle:

3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    The Newsweek.com article wasn't incorrect. The reality is just far less monolithic than it is sometimes made to appear.

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    As, of course, Christ loved the Jewish church, even after it took his life.

5. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    Conversations like this make me feel senile and I’m not even 50 years old.

Invictus likes this.
  6. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Stalwart, you're a smart guy. You understand what is being asked here. If you don't think there would be disagreement in ACNA on who a transgender person can marry you're in denial.

If a transgender woman is a man, then by extension you're saying they can marry other women. Which means you can have a couple, where both people appear to be women, both people have female sex organs, who assert they are in a loving lesbian relationship, married in a church.

You see how that could cause some discomfort right? You can see why some people within your own tradition might decide to come down on the other side of the fence right? You see why it might be a good idea to get everyone on the same page and set some definitions before it starts a fight, not after a fight has already begun and some Anglicans start refusing to acknowledge other Anglicans marriages, right?

This blanket statement of "it's obvious, we don't need to define anything, anyone who says so is clearly a post-modernist crazy" is not being helpful. Defining things that were previously thought to be self evident is necessary in today's times to avoid walking into the abyss of division. Lets have it out and sort out what we all think before it becomes a problem.

Invictus likes this.
  7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is there an official definition of a man?

8. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would actually say the church should not marry such a person

9. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Yes biological male

10. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    Up until about five minutes ago there was no need to have an “official definition” of a man or of a woman because from the dawn of man ( ha ha ha) until then we as a species weren’t so hopelessly confused so as to need one.

Elmo likes this.
  11. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    It’s not so much a matter of confusion, as a situation which the advance of medical technology has made possible.

Annie Grace likes this.
  12. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    This is all very much by design. Satan never sleeps.

This isn't really a new thing, though. There is nothing new under the sun. When Paul was writing of the malakoi in 1 Corinthians, he's not just referring to homosexuals who take the passive role in coitus, but to those who are soft, or effeminate, or take on the aspect of females. This was a common problem in many cities in Paul's time; many of the temple prostitutes were male but dressed in women's clothing. Some were even emasculated (either by force or by choice) to prevent secondary male characteristics from developing. It's a mistake to assume that transgenderism is a new fad -- historically, that's far from the case.

Elmo likes this.
  13. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    God save us from the ideologues. :facepalm:

Elmo, Niblo and Annie Grace like this.
  14. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I mean I see what you’re saying. We certainly always need new clarity in case of new emerging circumstances.

So I certainly wasn’t saying that we don’t need clarity. All I was saying was, can we stop pretending that there isn’t clarity on things that are already clear, and have been clear for thousands of years? Just because a mentally unstable neurotic proclaims those certainties are uncomfortable to him, and we must redefine them to accommodate him and his mental pathologies? No thank you.

Woman = adult human female. Is there anything unclear about that? All we need to know is how to apply that; here is where someone could help us have more clarity. What if a trans woman (ie. just a mutilated man) asks to marry a woman in the church, in a pseudo-lesbian ceremony, what is an innocent priest to do?

The Church can and should have pastoral resources of what to do; what are the purposes of marriage? What is a woman? But the latter is not a question for scripture, it is a question for the dictionaries.

We already have that definition. Perhaps the Church could cite it from the dictionaries, but it’s not a question that needs to be “figured out”.

15. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)

She is just humouring you because she can't be bothered trying to make you more sensitive.

It isn't humour if it isn't funny.

Elmo likes this.
  16. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Yes: A geezer from Wales.

Clayton likes this.
  17. Mark T. Zak

Mark T. Zak New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    See the documentary film by Matt Walsh "What is a Woman?"

Elmo likes this.
  18. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I believe the summary by @ZachT above clarifies the crux of the matter well.

19. ralph

ralph New Member

Philippines
    Religion:
    Catholic
    What is the definition of a cat? :)

20. Lee

Lee New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal (High Church)
    To be fair, that’s not really an answer for individuals who lead the church, but for genetics. And that verdict is clear, concise and unanimous.

Pub Banker likes this.