Church of England: There is ‘no official definition’ of a woman

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jul 11, 2022.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I wonder, is there an 'official definition' for absurdity? :laugh:

DavidT, Mark T. Zak, Clayton and 2 others like this.
  3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    There are two threads going on about this simultaneously. As I wrote in the other one, to be fair, they know what a "woman" is, obviously; they're saying there is no consensus on whether to include transgender women in that category, which is correct.

4. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Are you certain it's obvious? :rolleyes: lol. These days it's getting harder and harder to tell!

5. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Bishop in Europe wants an official definition so they can determine if a transgender woman is only permitted to marry a man or only permitted to marry another woman. Seems like a pretty sensible thing to sort out before different parishes arrive at different conclusions and suddenly you've got parishes in communion with each other not recognising each others marriages.

6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    “An adult human female.”

As any English dictionary will tell him.

Elmo and Clayton like this.
  7. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think the new term is "birthing body."

8. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)

And you cannot know how offensive that term is to biological women I suppose? It makes us out to be labour machines, breeders for the men of the world. Not all of us give birth you know, or even can give birth. I am not offended by trans women who want to be called women. I am offended by men who refer to women by their ability to reproduce for them.

9. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You get how obtuse that is right? Is a transgender woman an adult human female?

If they are does that mean they can marry men?

If they are not does that mean they can marry women?

Do you not see how perhaps this question might see different answers even inside your own church? Do you not see how it might be a good idea to sort this out before the ACNA parish across the road from your parish conducts a marriage you deem invalid?

Invictus likes this.
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    These types would dearly love to see the USA become full on Gilead maybe.

Annie Grace and Invictus like this.
  11. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A transgender “woman” is in fact but a mutilated man. What’s hard about that?

There is no debate about what is a woman within the ACNA.

Elmo and Andrew Brooke like this.
  12. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    No; he is an adult human male. XX chromosome = female; XY (and in rare, unfortunate cases XXY) means you are male. All the surgical mutilation and hormone "therapy" and cross-dressing won't change that. Sex is a biological fact, not a social construct.

And just to head off the "but what if your gender doesn't match your sex?" response: this is what we call a mental illness, and should be treated as such. It's not much different than if I consider myself a cat, or a table, or some other body-dysmorphic fantasy. This sort of dementia requires treatment, not affirmation.

13. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    In America, it is common for leftists to use terms like "birthing body" and "black body" to refer to people because it avoids using "social constructs" like race and gender. I prefer the term woman.

Clayton and Annie Grace like this.
  14. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    It's really amazing to me how much the liberal churches are recapitulating the worst aspects of the old Gnostic and Docetist (and even Marcionist) heresies. We need a new Irenaeus.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  15. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    No one meant to offend any women. Maybe in your local culture the term is offensive, but please be aware that women and pro-choice groups in the US have adopted this ridiculous phraseology, on the grounds of being inoffensively "gender neutral."
    For example, the Biden admin is using the phrase "birthing people" in place of "mothers," and: "The pro-choice nonprofit NARAL defended use of the term, tweeting, "When we talk about birthing people, we're being inclusive. It's that simple. We use gender neutral language when talking about pregnancy, because it's not just cis-gender women that can get pregnant and give birth. Reproductive freedom is for *every* body."" (Source: Newsweek article) (see also this website)

That said, a "biological woman" is the only kind of woman. We men thank God for them, too!
    ...at least, until we marry them and they take over our lives... :p :laugh:

16. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    It is amazing how the boundaries of reality get moved. What is the next aspect of reality to get removed. This year we can't define what a woman is. Next year it might just be we don't know what a human is. We play word games to dance around object concrete reality. A transwoman is not a woman. I guess we can say they are a transwoman and leave it at that but they are not a woman. They will never be a woman. They can't know what being a woman is for feels like. Besides can anyone tell me what a woman is who is arguing against the actual definition of a woman

17. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I was able to locate only 1 instance of the phrase "birthing people" on NARAL's website, vs. about 2,740 instances of the word "woman". Similarly, the White House's official website contains 4 instances of the phrase "birthing people", vs. about 14,800 instances of the word "woman".

Tiffy and Annie Grace like this.
  18. Annie Grace

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Wow - you go from being offensive in describing a woman to being offensive in your humour about women. You are a natural.

Elmo likes this.
  19. Annie Grace

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I don't define a woman by her ability to birth a child any more than I define a man by his ability to produce viable sperm. These are biological functions. There still seems to be a problem with seeing a woman as anything more than an object.

DavidT likes this.
  20. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Cool stuff but I did not define a woman as an object. In fact I am defending women from being commodified. You can't just make a woman in a room. Women are made by God in the womb. A trans woman will never be a woman. They don't have the genetics of a woman, the life experiences of a woman, or the chromosomes of a woman.

Elmo likes this.