Bible Study

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by ROBERT THOMAS, May 10, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ROBERT THOMAS

ROBERT THOMAS New Member

CANADA
    Religion:
    ANGLO-CATHOLIC
    I have a question regarding Anglican Study. I found it interesting how the Anglican Church, at least in Canada, seems to have bible study in Lent but avoids it other times of the year. Why is this? The church does emphasis individual study but also speaks to community. I feel we need more Group Study and discussions> Any responses??

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Ask your vestry and clergy to schedule it.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  3. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    My church has both church-sponsored bible study and congregation-led groups throughout the year. Many churches fall away from doing scheduled bible studies because not enough people show up for them (due to scheduling conflicts, travel time, etc.). If you'd like to engage in good bible study, check with your pastor and see if other members would like to do so as well, then you can coordinate with them on a time and place. I find these kinds of ad-hoc groups to be very fruitful, and it's a great way to meet people if you're a new member.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    More Group Study and discussion would be a good thing, but a word of warning if I may. Bible studies, unless conducted by spirit filled believers, rooted and grounded in the faith, can become radical reactionary cells threatening division among the faithful.

We had a case in our own community where a recent incomer to the parish brought enthusiastic religious radicalism and American puritanical fundamentalist idealism along with him. Fortunately he left us on the grounds that we were nowhere near religious enough for his tastes. He has since started his own supposedly 'Anglican' church, offering his own supposedly 'Anglican' theological persuasions, though he has so far not subjected himself to any Anglican training or selection process for ministry or teaching, but rather assumes, like Diotrephes, that his mandate to teach us comes from his perception of our ignorance of The Way, and of Christ's and Apostolic teaching, rather than of any demonstrable submission to the scrutiny of a legitimate authority of The Anglican Church.

5. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We have been doing Zoom bible study based on a teaching program prepared by our priest. Normally it's only 5 of us but we all get to contribute.

Shane R likes this.