Coptic patriarch rejects women priests as un-Biblical

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by anglican74, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Pope Tawardros commands our respect. He has had members of his Church beheaded on the Beach in Lybia, and he has had his Cathedral Bombed and he stands for faith, and forgiveness, and is a great beacon of light in a dark part of the world.

Rexlion likes this.
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    But once again that has nothing to do with how the Jews worshipped in the Temple and how their priests dressed for worship, which was commanded by God/Jesus/Holy Spirit in the Old Testament. Jesus came to fulfill the law not end it and he mentioned zero about changing Temple Worship. In fact he went and worshipped at the Temple. So really our priest wearing some form of vestments and dressed up ornate is the Biblical style.

3. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I think that this topic is probably one of those "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) scenarios in that we each have our own opinion of what is ostentatious, what best reflects the humble nature of Jesus, or what Matthew or Luke said that Jesus said about the Pharisees.

I understand the love of or attraction for ritual, pomp and ceremony, and of course, tradition. But I also think that in today's world, it would be nice to have spiritual leaders lead by example instead of just by tradition. I personally prefer simplicity. Jesus set an example in the way he dressed and behaved. So today, maybe vestments that were symbolic but simpler too. As I said, YMMV.

4. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    And thanks to Rexlion

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. Matt 23:1-3

So if people are meant to do as the Pharisees say, why did Jesus not adhere to his own advice and wash his hands before eating, as mentioned in Annie Grace's bible quote.

5. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Jesus certainly wasn't bound by any man made laws. He told the people to follow the rules, probably more for their protection than because he agreed with them all. He didn't follow all the rules of the Sabbath either. But why he did these things is speculation, Jesus was/is unique.

6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Jesus also inspired the Bible and he was very specific in the OT as to how he wanted us to worship. He did nothing to end that in the NT. The more Biblical approach is vestments liturgy and beauty.

PDL likes this.
  7. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    But he didn't tell people off either, when they didn't obey the same rule.
    Matt 15:1&2

Instead of Jesus saying "Gosh you're right, I'm frightfully sorry, the disciples should have washed their hands. I did tell them to do as you say but they seem to have slipped up here"

No - he then goes on to say.

“And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honour your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’

Does Jesus believe attack is the best form of defence?

Annie Grace likes this.
  8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I agree completely. What does this have to do with me answering someone else's question about where something is found in the Bible? Sheesh.

9. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I didn't particularly wanty to go down this rabbit hole, given that the subject of the thread was Pope Tawadros, I just needed to ensure beyond any doubt that we were not suggesting that the great Oriental Orthodox Patriarch had somehow violated Matthew 23:2-3.

Invictus likes this.
  10. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    news updates from 200 AD