Irreverent roman liturgies

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Stalwart, May 11, 2021.

1. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I thought you were only talking about the Eucharist. Obviously, in choir dress the cassock is quite necessary.

It sounds horrendous. I have lived where the temperature is higher but the humidity low. It was far from pleasant but more bearable. The humidity just makes life intolerable for me. I once spent a time in the tropics. It was an absolutely miserable time for me unless I was near air conditioning and had a large glass of cold water in hand.

Invictus likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I just came across mention of a 2020 Barna survey which revealed that 70% of US RCs believe they can earn a place in heaven by doing good, and only 28% believe they would go to heaven because they've confessed their sins and accepted Christ as Savior. People who identified as Mainline Protestants, Evangelicals, and Born-Again Christians all had a much more favorable result in the survey. This shows that the RC liturgy and catechism are failing to properly teach their laity the most vital thing for which the church exists.

3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    The lesson of the XXth century is that the liturgy is not to be paid attention to, since it can be changed at a whim.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    the tragedy of the XXth century you mean

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hymnwirters might be the barometer. We seem to have moved from the objective to the subjective, from the transcendent to the immanent, and seemingly in many situations seek to make the liturgy the handaid of the music (music that was generally born outside the liturgy) which is entirely the reverse of how it should be. I wonder when the next time we will sing 'Immortal Invisible ...' however I will not be holding my breath!

Shane R, Lowly Layman and anglican74 like this.