Ambiences

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Elmo, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  2. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    This is the Sacred Music forum so I wouldn't see any problem with you posting sacred music here.

Not these you've posted because they're not well done. There is a lot of crackling in the background. When I played your first link I, at first, thought there was something wrong with my speakers. All three links are to poor quality sounds. I played other things and they were fine so it's not my speakers.

I do like monastic chant and prefer male to female voices. That is not something I usually have a preference for, i.e. male over female voices. I simply don't like chant with the female voice. I can't really explain why. It's just one of those things you like or don't like.

You're second link was to Romanian Orthodox chants. On the whole my preference is for Western, i.e. Gregorian, chant. I do sometimes like various Orthodox chants but not as consistently as western chant. My parents had a recording of a choir singing the Nicene Creed in Russian. I'd love to know what happened to it because it was beautiful. It was one of those pieces that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

3. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, the idea is there are meant to be fires, rain etc. in the background :)

4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    OK, I understand.:) No, I don't like that, i.e. when they mess around with the chant and introduce various background noises.

5. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Fair enough :)

6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    If I were doing something else and this were playing softly in the background, it might be all right to me so long as it just stayed at the subconscious level (forgetting it's there). It seems to be the same thing over and over on a short loop, though, so if I'm conscious of it I will soon tire of hearing it. Actually I tried the first link and only lasted about 10 minutes before shutting it off!

Elmo likes this.
  7. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes, they loop eventually. I like to listen while I study :)