Anglican Rite

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Elmo, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Probably better than the typical Novus Ordo but do you have a link to the liturgy

3. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    It adopts much from the Anglican liturgy, until the liturgy of the Eucharist begins; at that point it changes and becomes distinctly more Roman in its theological presentation. Since it is meant to be satisfying for former Episcopalians and Anglicans who have become RC, that is to be expected; after all, the entire RC Mass holds the Eucharist (their understanding of it) to be the focal point that everything else leads up to. While they've beautified this version of RC liturgy, it's still a distinctly RC liturgy.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Much of it is a copy-paste exercise from the Anglican Missal. Most of the people who found the way into the Ordinariates were used to that rite rather than the BCP anyway. So they felt like not much had changed.

Stalwart and Elmo like this.
  6. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Would you say it's a good thing that the RCC has allowed the Anglicans to keep much of what they're familiar with etc?

7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I would say that Anglican and Roman Liturgy have been copying and pasting things from one another since the time of Augustine of Canterbury, 1420 years!

Elmo and Invictus like this.
  8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It’s a bit of a condemnation of Rome’s side. It shows that despite all the shade they’ve tried to throw on our Prayerbook over the centuries, they actually don’t have much of a problem with it. It reminds me of how Pope Pius V told Queen Elizabeth that he would completely accept the 1559 Prayerbook wholesale if only she submitted to his authority.

Shane R likes this.
  9. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have purchased their new 'Breviary' (for the UK and Australia). I quite like that, which is in Prayer Book language and they have retained the BCP tradition of dividing the Psalter over 30 days. Unlike the Roman Rite, they have retained the office of Prime.

Elmo likes this.
  10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sure. I have a fairly high tolerance for liturgical diversity. My experience with Ordinariate people is that they try to keep more than the RCC allowed though; ie. they retain some Episcopalianism that isn't necessarily compatible with the Roman ethos. Bishop Lopes has been fairly frank about this of late and his opinion of most of the Americans/Canadians under his oversight. He's irritated by most of them and would like to shake them up.

On another forum the question was posed, what would a Lutheran ordinariate look like liturgically? I answered that I suppose the Romans would take Divine Service setting III and tweak the penitential rite, insert the Roman Canon of the Mass, and call it done. I've never seen Lutherans use some of the supplemental material such as the asperges or the Last Gospel though. So it would be a bigger transition for Lutherans. Or maybe they'd be like Anglicans and mostly do what they were already doing despite the directives from their hypothetical Roman ordinary.

The current Roman liturgies are remarkably similar to TEC's Rite II though, which itself is not that divergent from some of the rites worked up for the Lutheran Book of Worship. So I don't think a Lutheran ordinariate will ever get off the ground. Any Lutherans who want to swim the Tiber are typically satisfied acclimating to the Novus Ordo.

Elmo likes this.
  11. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    What aspects of Anglican praxis have they retained which isn't compatible with the Roman Catholic Church's doctrine?

Matthew J Taylor, Invictus and Elmo like this.