From ACNA to Episcopalian

Discussion in 'Church Strands (Anglo-catholics & Evangelicals)' started by Invictus, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    It's an interesting article. I do not fully understand the author's objection to GAFCON and the ACNA's existence, though.

3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It’s not uncharitable for me to point out that the Episcopal Church now has transgender clergy, and promotes (from the national office) women priests who call abortion a “blessing”. Or that for the last twenty years they have had (and celebrated) clergy and bishops who are in open homosexual relationships.

Facts cannot be charitable or uncharitable, they just are.

People can read pro-TEC outlets like LivingChurch, but whether they will get any facts from it is another question. It has covered up and deflected Episcopalian travesties for the last 70 years, beginning with open pro-Marxist insurrections by Bishop Pike in the 1950s, and the first illegal women’s ordinations in the 1970s.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    ByOldEyes, Cooper and JoeLaughon like this.
  4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I feel sorry for that guy. There are many great people in TEC but the church has jettisoned to many key Biblical issues to count as a faithful church in my opinion.

Cooper likes this.
  5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    His argument runs something like: the diocese is the most basic unit of the church. There are still faithful dioceses within the broad Anglican Communion. GAFCON and ACNA are placing bishops within the geographical territory of existing dioceses. This is causing schism within the Anglican Communion. Additionally, the founding of ACNA was canonically irregular and therefore of questionable validity.

Of course, he's talking out of both sides of his mouth since at one moment he wants to focus on the diocese and the next he wants to focus on the Communion.

Cooper and Rexlion like this.
  6. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is the discussion I keep having internally- ANiC seems welcoming, but I'd essentially be trying to help pull together a planting project with distant help, while the ACoC nearby is a bit washy on doctrine, and tbh, hasn't had an actual sermon in any of the services we've visited (+ BAS only).

7. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    ANiC is also generally a liturgical catastrophy about 2 steps lower on the churchmanship ladder than the much maligned C4SO in the US.

On another note, the Canadian Mission of the Orthodox Anglican Communion has expanded into Quebec recently.

Cooper and bwallac2335 like this.
  8. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Tell us more about that expansion into Quebec

9. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The ACNA would be better off if some of their folk went to the TEC. It would be like bailing water out of your ship into the Titanic.

Cooper and Stalwart like this.
  10. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There's a mission meeting in Quebec City. They are led by a lay reader who I assume to be a postulant for holy orders. Being in Quebec the service is in French but the lay reader has excellent English. I think he was raised an Anglophone but has mostly lived in Quebec.

11. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    That is great news for yall

12. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I agree. We need to cut ties or clean house

Stalwart likes this.
  13. Othniel

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    Just looked at their site. Not much info, but a *lot* of statues and images.

14. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    He said the focus should be on the diocese (primary) without losing sight of the parish or the national/international communion (secondary). The existence of uncanonical/invalid/illicit jurisdictions alongside the the canonical one in places like the U.S. and Canada at the diocesan level (primary) is responsible for the fracturing of the Communion at the global level (secondary). There is no inconsistency.

15. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Which members of GAFCON are "uncanonical/invalid/illicit" (or does that apply to all of them), and how does one decide?

16. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    The original jurisdictions are the canonical ones; the breakaways are by definition irregular/schismatic, i.e., installing a bishop where one already has jurisdiction.

17. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I did a search for AnIC and I got the Australian National Imans Council and The Australian Nut Industry Council. I extended the search and found Anglican Network in Canada, however I didn;t see a lot of statues and images.

18. Othniel

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    That's because I was speaking about the OAC.

19. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We have been here before. St. Athanasius addressed the poor and huddled faithful “outside the boundaries”:

"they have the buildings, but you have the faith. They can occupy our churches, but remain outside the true faith. You remain outside the places of worship, but the faith dwells within you. Let us consider: what is more important, the place or the faith? The true faith, obviously. Who has lost and who has won in the struggle – the one who keeps the premises or the one who keeps the Faith?

"You are the ones who are happy; you who remain within the church by your faith, who hold firmly to the foundations of the faith which has come down to you from the Apostles. And if an execrable jealousy has tried to shake it on a number of occasions, it has not succeeded. They are the ones who have broken away from it in the present crisis. No one, ever, will prevail against your Faith, beloved Brothers. And we believe that God will give us our churches back some day.

"Thus, the more violently they try to occupy the places of worship, the more they separate themselves from the Church. They claim that they represent the Church; but in reality, they are the ones who are expelling themselves from it and going astray.”

Othniel likes this.
  20. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    The only problem is that TEC invalidates themselves with approving of heretical beliefs. Not trying to be mean when I say that but it is true. So if the choice is a valid diocese or valid beliefs always go with the valid beliefs. But then again can a heretical church be a valid church? My answer is no.