Greetings from Brazil

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rytier, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Rytier

Rytier New Member

Empire of Brazil
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm a brazilian anglican. I come from a reformed church in search of a more historic liturgy and a church with real apostolic succession. I have recently entered the English faith and would like to know what works I can read to better understand the Anglican orthodoxy which I greatly admire. God bless you all.

Othniel, anglican74 and Invictus like this.
  2. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Hello Rytier

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have a beneficial stay here.

Rytier likes this.
  3. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Rytier likes this.
  4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    good morning, and welcome! I heartily support the endorsement of "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis and all the rest of his works:
    "The Abolition of Man"... "The Great Divorce"... these are perhaps the greatest spiritual classics of the 20th century and really brought me into the anglican mindset

Rytier likes this.
  5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Olá e bem-vindos!

I'm afraid that's as much Portuguese as you're going to get from me.

Welcome and enjoy.

Rytier likes this.
  6. Rytier

Rytier New Member

Empire of Brazil
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's good to see a european that know that in Brazil we speak portuguese and not spanish :laugh: Tks

7. Rytier

Rytier New Member

Empire of Brazil
    Religion:
    Anglican
    To be fair, I've already read the principal Lewis works (Mere Christianity, Abolition of Man, Weight of Glory, Four Loves and Letters from Devil). Here on Brazil he is more like a ecumenical author that every christian loves. I was reallyng hoping for some doctrinal books about anglican faith. God bless you all and tks anyway.

8. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I knew that because I think I come from a generation where we were better educated and general knowledge is all round better. I aslo know because I've been wanting to learn Portuguese for some time. However, I want to learn European Portuguese. I live in Europe and am far more likely to go to Portugal than Brazil. However, most resources are aimed at learning Brazilian Portuguese. I do not have an issue with Brazilian Portuguese but as aspects of its grammar and vocabulary and, most definitely, its pronunciation are different I don't want to learn it.

Anyway that's not your problem. Yes, I know that Brazilians speak Portuguese, the Surinamese speak Dutch and the Guayanese speak English. Not all of South America is Spanish speaking.

Rytier likes this.
  9. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'll ask the bishop in Mocambique, another Lusophone country, for some recommendations next time we correspond.

10. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    and member of the Commonwealth.

11. Rytier

Rytier New Member

Empire of Brazil
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Fair enough. To be fair, brazilian portuguese have a lot of regionalism and you probably would know how to speak only the southeast brazilian portuguese. Portugal is a beatiful country and was part of our territory during the reign of Dom João VI, we treat them like brothers, but their accent is a bit funny to most of brazilians. :sweating: Good luck tho

12. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    You are quite correct; although, at first, I thought you were mistaken. I don't understand why it is, though. It was a former Portuguese colony not a British one. It's a Lusophone country not an Anglophone one. I, therefore, have absolutely no idea why Mozambique/Moçambique is a member of the Commonweath.

13. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Yes, it is a Lusophone country but I didn't want to use that big word.:D

14. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I hope I haven't offended you. No offence was meant. From my perspective it just seems more practical to learn European Portuguese. Hopefully, I may holiday there where the plague is over. I know I will never go to Brazil because I'm now extremely reluctant to make longhaul flights.

Rytier likes this.
  15. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I'ld like to think they thought it would make them more British, an admiral concept in and of itself. But I think the real reason is, it enabled them to participate in loan and aid schemes.

16. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Yes, I can understand why Mozambique may like to be in the Commonwealth but I was more surprised it was admitted.

It is possible to be too British! When I was a final year undergraduate we went on a day-long field trip into the countryside. Several students on the trip were postgrads. One was from Malawi. He came on the field trip in a starched shirt, tie, three piece suit, highly polished shoes and a rolled-up umbrella. When I saw him my only surprise was that he didn't have a bowler hat on!

AnglicanAgnostic likes this.
  17. Rytier

Rytier New Member

Empire of Brazil
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's okay, brother. Don't worry about that

PDL likes this.
  18. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I just got documents from a leader in Angola yesterday. He is quite the motivated individual and sent me copies in French, Portuguese, and English.

I may go to Brazil eventually but I already go to the Brazilian steak house when I have a chance!

Rytier likes this.
  19. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome!