What makes a Orthodox a Orthodox?

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Logan^B, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Logan^B

Logan^B New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican church
    What makes a Roman Catholic a Catholic?

A Protestant a Protestant?

As in theology doctrine or dogma

For a Eastern orthodox does the following apply?

Is it a belief that when Jesus was crucified he was either punished a bit harder than he deserved or he was punished adequately enough not too lightly but not overly cruelly.

Is it true Eastern Orthodox Christians hold the opinion he didn't deserve to be beaten and flogged more than he was and most importantly despite his transgressions Jesus deserved to be put to death humanely.

How do Catholics think Jesus Christ deserved to be treated during the walk to his crucifixion?

Isn't that the main difference between Roman Catholic, Protestant West and East churches?

2. Logan^B

Logan^B New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican church
    Please make your answers as simple as possible

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Jesus was entirely without sin in his mortal lifetime, so He did not deserve any punishment whatsoever. This is (or should be) the view of all Christians. He took the punishment that all of us deserve for our sins. I do think He was treated more roughly than the typical crucifixion victim, but I could be mistaken about that.

What makes a RC a RC? A Roman Catholic is someone who was baptized into the RC faith and who considers himself a member of that denomination.

Carolinian likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have never heard anything even approaching this from any Easter Orthodox Christians. The range of responses to Jesus, from the mockery of the soldiers, the purple robe and crown of thorns, the jeers of the crowd, the tears of the women of Jerusalem, the enforced assistance of the outlier - Simon of Cyrene, the response to the two thieves crucified with Jesus, and even here Jesus is misheard and misunderstood, (was he calling Elijah or was he thirsty).

And the focus of Eastern Theology is not the cross but the resurrection. The idea of Christus Victor, places the cross and the deciding battle between all that is awful and horrid against all the is good and true, beautiful and whole, and Christ rises on high to lead a host of captives.

Orthodox Christians are much less likely to understand themselves in terms of Ortho-doxy, and more likely to conclude that Ortho-praxis is a way of life. Orthodox is in a way more more a question of ontology, rather than teleology.

Carolinian, Ananias and Stalwart like this.
  5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have never heard any Christian determine their denomination by the questions you pose.

Our Lord deserved none of these things and I think that is what Christians believe.

It beggars belief you think some Christians would think Christ's Passion was not harsh enough.

Carolinian and Stalwart like this.
  6. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sometimes you wonder where people learn these things.

Carolinian likes this.
  7. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Oh, I don't wonder. It's par for the course in a lot of western churches these days. You should read some of the nonsense coming out of seminaries these days (and I don't just mean from the students; some of the worst stuff comes from the professors).

Carolinian likes this.