Tools of Prayer

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Andrea, Aug 19, 2012.

?

What prayer "tools" do you use?

1. Anglican rosary

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Marian rosary

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. prayer ropes

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. prayer cards

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. prayer books other than the BCP

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. other

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  7. none

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    I have taken for granted that most of us use the BCP and the Bible as prayer aids. I'm talking about more a long the lines of tools like rosaries extra prayer books et cetera. Do you use any? If so which ones. Why/why not.​

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use no tools of prayer, though if you want to be technical you can count the soft lamp I switch-on for official B.C.P. prayer. Even if it's morning, the lamp strongly represents the light of the world shining in the darkness for me. Otherwise, I prefer to use only the words of my heart, rather than repetitions like the rosary. :)

3. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    BCP and a Bible, where's that option?

4. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Being we're Anglican I've taken those for granted as prayer aids. that we all use. I'm talking about the extraneous stuff

5. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    As well as the BCP 1662 and KJV Bible I use the 'Daily Office SSF' which essentially follows the CofE's Daily Office from Common Worship 2000 but with some additional Franciscan material. I sometimes dip into a late 19th century adaption of the Sarum Breviary rendered in Cranmerian English. I have home made prayer cards which double as bookmarks.

Whilst I prefer to use books I find my smart phone useful as I can access the Daily Office from the CofE website where both the BCP and Common Worship versions including readings are available.

I have a mid 20th century Anglo-Catholic prayer book which is a very eclectic (or eccentric) mix of Common Prayer 1549/1662, bits of the Knott Missal, Offices from the Sarum Breviary and Roman Catholic devotions such as the Rosary, Stations, Novenas etc. It's also bound up with the English Hymnal.

6. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

I voted "none," meaning none of the options you listed. I use BCP and Holy Scripture.

7. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I also use "The Daily Office SSF", "The Divine Office (liturgy of the hours)", sometimes the "Anglican Breviary", and the Franciscan TSSF Daily Obedience Prayers.

8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Finally, something that HH and Anna have in common! :D

To be fair, the poor O.P. assumed the Bible and B.C.P. - he was referring to extra devotions.

9. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Yeah I edited the OP to reflect what I was trying to get at.

Toma likes this.
  10. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I like reading written prayers, but I don't really use them as tools for prayer, more as poetry - to reflect on and think about. Do hymnals count? Sometimes the words of a particular hymn really sums up what I'm feeling for that moment and I pray it as I sing

This thread reminds me of my trip to England, and we went to the local baptist church on Sunday. And it was so funny as the congregation had just returned from a retreat at an anglican monestary and they were talking about how usefulthey've been finding the use of prayer ropes lol. I was thinking, Baptists. monestaries and prayer ropes - not words you find together a lot :D

11. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    For the purposes of this thread sure.

12. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    I'll be the first to admit to beads. I carry them with me on my walks. It's a great way to get out in nature and pray. I also use prayer cards, more for giving to someone going through tough times. I try to keep on hand a supply of The Jesus Prayer and The serenity prayer.

Joan Lucia-Treese likes this.
  13. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I voted for prayer beads (Anglican) and recently I started using prayer cards. These tools, along with the BCP and Bible, are great and helpful tools for prayer. When I find myself just "reading the words" of the '79 BCP for Morning and Evening Prayer, I will switch to the '28 BCP or even the 1662 BCP for a week or so to change things up a bit. I've heard of some using Saint Augustine's Prayer Book, but I have never used it myself.

I have a Marian rosary, but i've never used it. I don't have anything against the Marian rosary, however, I really like the freedom of praying the Anglican rosary.

nkygreg likes this.
  14. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    For those that use the Marian rosary, check this site out Marian Rosary

nkygreg and Adam Warlock like this.
  15. Anna Scott

Yes, a celebration is in order. lol

Toma likes this.
  16. Anna Scott

Symphorian,

Your comment about home made prayer cards brought back a wonderful memory of my mother. She was very ill the last few years of her life, but remained a devoted Christian and inspiration to my sister and me and many others. She would cut out pictures from greeting/Christmas cards in creative shapes, attach a ribbon and write a passage of Holy Scripture on the back. I still have nearly every one addressed to my son and me. I treasure them and still use mine as bookmarks. My mother gave out so many of these to family and friends. I wonder how many people have kept them. I suppose you could say she was spreading the Gospel and bringing joy and reflection to many through such a simple means. Who knew that recycling greeting cards could do so much.

nkygreg, Sean611, Symphorian and 3 others like this.
  17. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Spreading the Gospel & bringing joy are two things most often associated with simple acts in my own young experience, Anna. We wrangle over strictness, propriety, formula, and outward appearance so much that we become embarrassed by the childlike things, such as that beautiful tradition of your mother. Yes, there's the Gospel in a nutshell. :)

nkygreg, Anna Scott and Gordon like this.
  18. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican

Or some do my little brother.... :)

19. rhiannon

rhiannon Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican (HIgh)
    I opted for none because at home I simply enjoy being in the Presence of God and that doesn't require any tools. For 25 years I strove to work at prayer in my life not getting there. This year I was in a place where I needed to speak to the current priest and thankfully he showed me how being Aware of the Presence of God is valid prayer. I have enjoyed that since March and so easy for me. I can't do what I call as worded prayer but this I can just become Aware whenever and whereever. Its so perfect and complete for me and I am glad I picked up the courage and we had the conversation. He saved my faith that day and the prayer is so easy.

nkygreg and Adam Warlock like this.