How can a catholic priest become an Anglican Priest

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Kumar, May 11, 2021.

1. Kumar

Kumar New Member

Germany
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Hallo respected people
    I am an Indian but working in Germany. I am a catholic priest. I just would like to know how one can become a Anglican priest in UK?

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You should contact the jurisdiction, the Provincial office or the Archbishop's office, and he will put you in touch with people who can take the conversation further.

You should know that there are competing jurisdictions in the UK right now. One is the old, beautiful and venerable Church of England that's been taken over by manifestly non-Anglican functionaries and LGBT-loving prelates, probably pushed from their secular overlords. If that's your thing, then fine, but if not, then you'll need to seek out one of the traditionalist jurisdictions in the UK. There are some Anglo-Catholic jurisdictions which @Shane R can probably put you in touch with. I would recommend Gafcon, which is the worldwide network of the Anglican Communion. They have rapidly growing UK operations, and numerous bishops.

David likes this.
  3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    This is an interesting question. I, however, do not know the answer. I have never heard of a priest moving in this direction. I could tell you how you could become a Roman Catholic priest if you were an Anglican one.

One benefit you would have as an Anglican priest is that you would choose where to exercise your ministry and to apply for any post you wished. Unlike Roman Catholic priests you will not be placed where your bishop wants you.

If you were to become a priest in the UK you would need to be aware of two things. Now the UK has left the EU you would need to establish a right to residence in the UK. You would also have to choose a church because there are four Anglican churches in the UK: the Church of England, the [Anglican] Church of Ireland, the Church in Wales and the Scottish Episcopal Church.

The Church of England is the only one of the four that makes provision for those who are orthodox in the Catholic or Evangelical wings of the Church. I think the Scottish Church is the most liberal of them as it is, I understand, the only one that allows homosexuals to "marry" in church.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2021
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's quite common in the US, Canada, Philippines, and South America. Usually less because of some theological epiphany and more because the flesh is weak. That is to say, Roman priests tend to discover they are Anglican (or Lutheran!) when they find a woman they are very interested in. At least 1/3 of our S. American clergy have Roman backgrounds.

The orders of the priest in question are accepted as valid and it is only a matter of retraining, which typically takes the form of a certificate program in Anglican studies (6-18 months depending on the motivation of the student - these are usually somewhat self paced), and perhaps some liturgical instruction in the BCP services. The priest is then incardinated rather than ordained sub conditione.

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We had a Catholic Priest who became and Anglican, for a variety of reasons. In the first instance he found a Bishop, established a relationship with him. He then spent a year in an Anglican Theological College to absorb 'Anglican Ethos' and was the received into the Anglican church as a Priest - ie specifically not re-ordained, but rather had his orders recognized. It should not really surprise us as all of the Anglican Clergy same from Rome without being re-ordained.

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Maybe not re-ordained but definitely re-educated in the Christian faith and required to renounce all RC false doctrines, as are RCs wanting to serve on PCCs in the C of E. (I'm not sure if this still happens, but I think it should.)

Rexlion likes this.
  7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think absorb Anglican Ethos is a more elegant phrase.

8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Agreed. I was inelegantly deploying rabbinic exaggeration to heighten emphasis. :laugh:

Shane R likes this.
  9. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My answer to the original question would be to reach out to the bishop of the region you intend to move to, and confirm with them the most appropriate steps. My intuition however is what Botolph has already said - you'll be expected to go through a period of formation, likely at the specific theological college the bishop recommends, but it will be much shorter than the period of formation someone who is not ordained would go through. During this period of learning you will likely also be expected to participate in the services of several different churches in the area so you can get a clear idea of the various traditions and parish expectations before you're recognised and welcomed as a priest in the CoE. It may also be worth flagging that you may not be paid by the diocese during this formation period (although there may be some assistance that can be provided by various congregations during this time if you need it), and so if your only source of income is your vocation make sure you consider your financial position and that you may need to work for a year (or more) before committing to the move.

Invictus and Stalwart like this.
  10. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    PDL is probably acting from the English vantage point of having to observe the old heroic Church of England be twisted (by the state) into a mockery of her old self; lesbian bishops, transgenderism in CofE schools. But I’ve been monitoring church news in England and the Roman bishops are just as awful in England right now. Welby and Nichols are hand in hand. What Anglicans in England need is to discover and embrace the traditionalist non-CofE Anglican jurisdictions. I’m on the US side of the pond but have talked with many good orthodox Anglican leaders in the UK, and they are a tremendous jolt of confidence.

11. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I hope that is only metaphorical, and not literal. :laugh: Nobody wants to see two archbishops getting all mushy with each other! :sick:

12. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is there a list of these Bishops for the UK? I understood there was an emergency Bishop ordained by Gafcon for the EU some time ago...what's the update on that?

God bless.

David.

13. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    There are some aspects of Roman Catholicism that do prevent me from 'swimming the Tiber'. They are enough, for now, to keep me within the fold of Anglicanism, which I do not really want to leave. However, with he constant move of the Anglican Church in the direction of current social mores rather than maintaining the Christian Faith makes it increasingly difficult for me to stay.

I do believe that when the Church of England decided that it could change the nature of Holy Orders and admit women to them I did nearly get my swimming trunks out.

14. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I wish you lived within driving distance of my ACNA parish. Having a priest who toes the line of orthodoxy in his ministering makes a tremendous difference.

RC parishes will be a 'roll of the dice' too, you know. :(

PDL and bwallac2335 like this.
  15. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thank you! However, I don't like driving at the best of times these days. Sadly, your parish is a tad too far for me.:sweating:

I know that the RC parishes are also a 'roll of the dice', and I don't think there's too many round here I would be happy in.

16. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The individual you are thinking of is Bishop Andy Lines.

The Free Church of England is in some disarray of late. Their most notorious bishop is John Fenwick, who is a lightning rod right now.

The Anglican Catholic Church maintains a small presence in the UK. Their bishop is Damien Mead and he is based out of Kent. I know his diocese to be rather regional and really not present outside of the South of England.

The Traditional Anglican Communion was also operating in England (barely) last I knew. I don't recall who was leading that effort. They've recently reorganized themselves on an international level and may have rebranded.

There are a few other groups, most of which are somehow trying to embody American Evangelicalism in an English context or mimic the less reputable fringes of the Old Catholic movement.

17. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    How do things look on the Continent

18. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes Bishop Andy Lines is one big contact, having been consecrated directly by the international orthodox Anglican primates.

The Free Church of England is another fantastic option. They’ve been around for 100+ years, but small because in the shadow of THE Church of England (until recently). Shane is right about a few shenanigans going on, but I know an ordinand currently going through ordination in the FCoE, and there’s nothing wrong with the bishops themselves, just a nasty CofE priest who joined FCoE and brought the scandals with him.

There are MANY church planting efforts going on under traditionalist auspices right now. I think you’d be really encouraged if you knew all that’s going on to counteract Church of England corruptions right now.

Rexlion likes this.
  19. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I think it should not be too difficult.

But - where is Kumar now?

20. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The Gospel message requires proper balance in its communication to the laity; the Romans over-emphasize the importance of membership in their church (I want to say "exclusive club," but there I go), of works, of worshipping the Eucharist, etc. I wouldn't want to support that. Nor would I encourage anyone to attend their Masses, as similar as they appear. The more one might attend a Roman parish, the more garbage teaching and bad theology will accumulate in the back of one's mind (despite one's efforts the subconscious remembers stuff). And you know the saying... eventually "garbage in" produces "garbage out." ;)

Dave D and ZachT like this.