Goood Sola Scriptura graphic

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Stalwart, May 7, 2021.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I found this helpful:

FB_IMG_1487989345504.jpg

PDL, bwallac2335 and Invictus like this.
  2. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    One of the Protestant critiques of the Roman Catholic faith was that the average person should be able to (competently!) read and understand the Bible themselves, without the mediating agency of the priest or magisterium or whatever. As long as Scripture is faithfully* rendered in the everyday language of the reader, a Christian should be able to comprehend both theology and church practice, and discern whether a given issue is at odds with Biblical truth or not.

This is where Article VI of the 39 Articles of Religion comes into play:

This is certainly true, but error creeps in where idiosyncratic readings of Scripture happen. This is where the secondary literature of the Bible -- commentaries, exegeses, devotionals, etc. -- comes into play. As Anglicans, we believe in reason, that is, the application of intellect to understand and apply metaphysical truth. But man is fallen and our rational minds are defective, and thus our "illumination" of the Bible often introduces and perpetuates error. I'm not sure we can avoid this -- the alternative is something like the Roman Catholic magisterium, wherein error not only happens, but gets cemented into doctrine forever afterward.

The answer is that each Christian must be trained in good doctrine, and have discernment to understand when doctrine strays. Lacking that ability, they need to have clergy and elders with discernment who can bring them back when they wander off.

*And yes, a lot of confusion and heartache lurk in the word "faithfully" when applied to translating Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek into other languages.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    ...But we have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:16). God can make up the shortfall, right? :)

4. Ananias

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    We must hope so. Of all the things I pray to God for, Wisdom always tops the list.

5. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Stalwart likes this.
  6. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    Ananias,

re: "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."

The trick, of course, is determining what is God breathed scripture and what isn't.

7. Ananias

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    If it is in one of the 66 books of the Bible, it is Holy Scripture.

Having said that -- yes, there are bad (and deliberately twisted) translations out there. You need to use discernment when choosing which translation you use. The good news is, we as English speakers are spoiled for choice these days. Nearly all of the major translations are fine: NRSV, ESV (my favorite), CSB, NASB, LSB, NIV, NET (which has an absolutely mind-boggling array of notes in the study version), and a few others. The KJV and NKJV are still in use, though I generally advise people not to use them for study purposes; modern translations tend to more accurately reflect the Greek and Hebrew originals.

Every word in all 66 books is Holy Scripture, and comes from God.

ZachT and bwallac2335 like this.
  8. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Can you make this graphic sharable?

9. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't know how to do that, but if you click on the image, you should be able to save it to your hard drive.

10. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Yes, this can be done. I have done it. Right click on the image. Select 'Save Image As...' and choose where you want to save it. I imagine devices not running on Microsoft Windows will have similar functions.

Stalwart likes this.