Deuterocanonical Books

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Why not download it for free here? http://bcp2019.anglicanchurch.net/

I myself prefer reading on my iPad to reading “dead trees”; this was not the case back in the day even of the first gen iPad, but since iPads started shipping with retina displays and advanced color management, I find myself preferring it.

2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA

I like to have a hard copy with me for when I don't have a computer but for now I think the download will do nicely.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  3. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    If I were in your position I would look into getting a good condition, pre-owned iPad Pro. The graphics quality makes it ideal for reading. I now use an iPad for virtually all media consumption; I use a laptop or desktop only when I have heavy programming to do.

4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    But Judith was never intended to be understood as factual or historical. It was a thinly disguised polemic against the Seleucids in “novel” form.

5. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I agree with that interpretation, but I wouldn't say it with quite the same amount of certainty. We'll never know for certain what its intended purpose is, and I would always err on the side of caution by qualifying such statements with some amount of doubt.

Perhaps it was a work of pure fiction for entertainment, the first historical fiction novel (a common opinion amongst Jewish scholars who don't give it any weight at all). Perhaps it was a deceit, intended to be understood as factual to meet some now long forgotten agenda. Perhaps historians, archeologists and the general consensus of Christian and Jewish theologians are all wrong and it genuinely is a historical document, perhaps with some unintended errors that were the inevitable product of writing such a work in the time it was written. I know Ambrose and Augustine at least considered it wholly factual and argued it should be included in the canon.

Invictus likes this.
  6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    And the other Books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine; such are these following:

7. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'd nitpick over words and say that is the books purpose to the Church, but not necessarily the purpose for which it was intended by the writer :p.

Invictus likes this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The sentence is from 6/39. I would also say that you sentiment could in some way be assigned to many parts of canonical scripture, such as Balaam's discussion with a beat of burden.

Invictus likes this.