Would you go to a gay wedding.

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by bwallac2335, Apr 7, 2021.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would not but I would tell them I love them but can't attend the wedding. I would even get them a gift for their home.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My Sister married a woman and I went to her wedding.

Some people asked, 'what about the rules God has given us?'

and I answered

'What about the family God has given me?'

I didn't go to the wedding to support single gender matrimony, I went to the wedding to support my sister.

Dave Kemp, Lowly Layman and Tiffy like this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I’m with you on this one. We cannot give a pinch of incense to the gods of this age.

4. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    When I was younger, I probably would have gone. Now...no. Not even to a secular gay wedding, much less one in a church. I would be givng my imprimatur to a lie: that two men or two women can actually be married to each other. It is an impossibility which goes against the natural order as ordained by God. It is the same with "gender reveal" parties or other such postmodernist rot. I refuse to sanction any of it.

I would make it clear that I love the homosexual friend or relative, but I would also make it clear that I do not and will not ever sanction their homosexual "marriage". If that means the end of the relationship, so be it.

anglican74 likes this.
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Only if I'm invited and only then if I like the people who are taking the vows.
    I wouldn't turn up to the weddings of Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Vladimir Putin or any other blatant hater or liar, even if invited.

6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Which of those are homosexual? That is the subject of the thread, after all....

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    They are all human sinners and I was efectively asked if I would attend the wedding of sinners. (That was the inference after all).

What's so special about homsexual sinners? :laugh:

8. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    No the thread is not talking about homosexual persons, but about gay marriages. I was however not assuming that was not speaking about bright vibrant fun filled and happy celebrations, but rather about mono-gendered matrimony.

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Speaking about bright vibrant fun filled and happy celebrations, why would it not be appropriate to celebrate the fact that two people at least, in this broken, sinful world, are making vows to remain faithful and loyal to one another and keep only to each other, for life, (so help them God). This, at least, is a commitment worth support from the servants of Christ.

The human behaviour which most hurt Christ on earth was probably being betrayed by a disloyal, unfaithful, friend but I think He forgave even that.
    Adulterous betrayal of a close companion, is a worse crime than homsexual fidelity, probably. God hates divorce. Mal.2:16.

10. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    "Would you go to a gay wedding" is the subject, if you want to be really nit-picky. So, once again, what do weddings of the straight people you named have to do with the subject of this thread? The correct answer: nothing! :p

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I'd say that the three I mentioned are anything but 'straight'. A more qualified bunch of 'bent' crooks would be difficult to find at a wedding. :laugh: Maybe Eduardo Bolsonaro might qualify as a contender for more 'bent' status. I wouldn't go to his wedding if invited. :no:

12. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Are the weddings of straight people not allowed to be bright vibrant fun filled and happy celebrations?

13. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You two are hopeless! :laugh:

14. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    On the contrary, we are both full of hope that the Kingdom of God will be established upon earth as it is in heaven. :laugh: 2 Cor.3:17. Everyone lagging behind in doing God's will will finally catch up. :thumbsup:

15. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not really. I regard it as a bit lazy to describe mono-gendered marriage as gay marriage. People may identify the selves as gay, however
    Your issue is not with a gay person getting married, but with two people of the same gender getting married.

I will be quiet now. I have made my point.

16. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

After the past year, I'd show up to the opening of an envelope.

But, yes, I would attend a gay wedding if invited.

17. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I would not go to a wedding of a same sex couple. I do not care who they are. Indeed, if I felt I had any influence over them I would probably try to engage with them and discourage it. Not only would I not go to their simulated wedding ceremony I would not acknowledge it in any way and would not consider or treat them as married.

I suspect quite a few, may be many, will find my stance hard. However, I believe in upholding my Faith. To go to such an event, to not go but send them a present or good wishes, to acknowledge them as a married couple, condones their actions. That says what you did is acceptable. But doing that is contrary to orthodox Christian faith.

God has told us homosexuality is wrong. Not wrong to be a homosexual person but wrong to engage in homosexual acts. Why does God create homosexual humans? I have no idea why He does this and many other things. I simply know I believe in Him and trust in what He has taught us. Homosexuals must bear their cross like we all have crosses to bear.

I believe that saying homosexuals must not engage in homosexual sexual acts is the same as me having to remain faithful in my marriage. Do not misinterpret me. I am not saying I would like to be unfaithful because I would not. I am simply saying the fact I could not have sex before my marriage or sex outside it is the same moral standards to which homosexuals are held.

Dave Kemp and Rexlion like this.