How to have more faith

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by caillte, Mar 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Hi I’m not too sure if I’m doing this right I’ve just become a member as CAF shut down, I’m 21 and my whole life I was raised as a Roman Catholic I’ve always had so much faith growing up I was never really exposed to atheism or even realised that there were people out there who didn’t believe in God until I was around 12-13, around that age I would be hit with random panic attacks because I was afraid of going to hell, I was afraid I would die before I got a chance to make up for my since I would also self harm for penance, I had these sort of panic attacks for years around 6 months ago a thought occurred to me “what If Gods not real, what if there’s no life after death” the thought stuck and the more I tried to not think about it the more it festered, if God is not real that would be absolutely devastating to me I want him to be real so badly, but he’s never shown me he’s real I’m starting to doubt more and more and now instead of having panic attacks due to my fear of hell im having panic attacks due to my fear of God not being real I’m terrified that the God ive been brought up my whole life to believe in isn’t real that everything has been a lie it’s really affecting me mentally and I wish that thought never occurred to me I just want to have faith in him but I don’t have any faith left, is there anything I can do to get my faith back? God not being real is something I refuse to accept, but also it is something I’m having a hard time believing anymore does that make sense?

Thomas Didymus likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Hello caillte, and :signwelcome: to our little community. We are glad you joined and asked your question.

What you describe does make sense, and please know that you are not alone. You are not the only one to experience a time of doubting. Many, many people go through such a period in their lives.

You've asked how to have more faith. Are you setting aside some time for daily Bible reading? Knowing God's written word is crucial to the growth of your faith.
    Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
    Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
    Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
    Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
    Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
    Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

When we hear or read what God has inspired the Apostles and prophets to set in writing about Him, our faith develops and matures. I recommend reading the entire Gospel of John as a start, and as you read please consider the things Jesus was saying and doing. Could an ordinary man have such wisdom, touch so many hearts, and perform such miracles?

You might wonder, are these things true? Did Jesus really feed thousands with a few loaves and fishes, heal the lame and the blind, and raise people from the dead? Did He really die and subsequently rise from the dead on the third day? There are three possibilities. Either the Gospel writers (the Apostles) were pants-on-fire liars, or they all were padded-room crazy, or they were telling the truth.

As you read, ask yourself: do these people sound like they're lying? They tell unflattering things about themselves. They admit to weak faith and cowardice. They admit that most of the time they didn't comprehend most of what Jesus was telling them or the full implications of His actions. Then they proceed to place their own lives on the line by proclaiming Jesus to the world. They advocate in favor of honesty and truth-telling, they emphasize keeping God's commandments (including Thou shalt not bear false witness), and they teach moral living... would they do all this by coordinating the biggest, most outrageous lie in history?

Do the Apostles sound like lunatics? Actually, they sound like ordinary, down-to-earth people with normal, sane reactions (such as fear when seeing Jesus walk on water, and running away to hide when Jesus is arrested). If they were crazy, the entire lot would have had to share the same delusion; what are the odds of that?

If the Apostles weren't lying, and if they didn't all share in a corporate hallucination, what's left? They were telling the truth, incredible as it may seem, about what they saw and heard.

I was raised Roman Catholic like you. When I was in college, away from the influence of my godly mother, I began to have serious doubts. I started reading the Bible. It helped quite a bit, although it presented many questions about how to interpret or understand some of the things I was reading (the Bible is a really deep book, after all, and not everything is 'plain as day'). After about a year, I happened to pick up a book by Malachi Martin (a former Jesuit priest who worked in the Vatican) called Hostage to the Devil. Fr. Martin detailed accounts of exorcisms performed by priests to liberate people who'd been possessed by demons. These poor folks would sometimes do things like levitation or telekinesis (hurling things at the priest), and one of them even told the priest of the secret sin he'd committed years before. Definitely supernatural! As I read these things, a realization suddenly struck me: the devil is real! How else could these people do such things? And after the priest exorcised them, they were restored just like the demoniac was liberated by Jesus:
    Luk 8:27 And when he went forth to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the tombs.
    Luk 8:28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.
    Luk 8:29 (For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and he brake the bands, and was driven of the devil into the wilderness.)
    Luk 8:30 And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
    Luk 8:31 And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.
    Luk 8:32 And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.
    Luk 8:33 Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.
    Luk 8:34 When they that fed them saw what was done, they fled, and went and told it in the city and in the country.
    Luk 8:35 Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

And when I realized that the devil must really exist, the next thought was: If Satan and the demons are real, then God must be real also!

I certainly didn't want to ever become demon-possessed (a sorry state for sure!), but I recalled reading this:
    Luk 11:24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.
    Luk 11:25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.
    Luk 11:26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

I thought, this must be how those people became possessed, to the point where they could not even control themselves! So I prayed to God. I asked Him to forgive me and to keep me safe. I asked the Holy Spirit to come and live inside me so the demons wouldn't find me 'empty' when they came. God heard me, and He answered my prayer. I've never been the same since.

Please don't hesitate to post again! Whether questions, comments, or updates, we're glad to hear from you. :yes: And read your Bible!!! :book:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  3. Thomas Didymus

Thomas Didymus Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ahoy caillte,

It absolutely does make sense. You're in good company. I apologize for the long post but couldn't help but relate with what you're going through (really got into it).

It's okay to have doubts. In many ways, it's what actually helps strengthen our faith, and what I mean by faith, is being able to see God (Christ) in our lives, ourselves, and in others. In ancient Israel, doubt was not considered the same thing as disobeying or sinning against God.

Before Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed for/because of all kinds of evil, Abraham asked our Lord many questions, hoping to spare the life of any righteous believers (lived Godly lives) who may have lived in the area. What may be seen as him challenging God's authority to do right, in reality, demonstrated Abraham's trust in our Heavenly Father.

God is not afraid of answering back and responding to our needs. In Abraham's case, he was looking out for others, over himself (but not neglecting himself) including his own family (nephew Lot and relatives). Abraham was a cheerful giver, loving as best as he could. It takes a lot of courage to have faith (not suggesting you don't). If it were certain, we wouldn't be able to call it faith.

Remember also how Simon Peter denied Jesus as the messiah not once, but three different times! He was extremely discouraged, trying desperately to save his own life. He thought it was personally over for him, that forsaking his savior meant that he could no longer be saved by the one he called Lord. It wasn't until after Jesus' death did he realize and begin to grasp the meaning of the things He had taught him.

Jesus tested people, but not in the way we regularly test people. He understood the Law better than anyone before or after him. He could have told people the correct things to resolve disputes that came about his way (which he did do, a lot of times). Other times though, he would say or word things to people, usually in the form of a question, with the intent on getting his audience and listeners to arrive at the answers themselves. In this way, you see, would leave a much greater and lasting impression to those who considered his words.

This is what prompted and compelled those faithful to him (his disciples, including the 12) to have the courage to face the harsh actions and cruel measures against them for the message they told of their Christ's teachings. Keep in mind, Jesus always sought peace and never conflict, realizing what he said then and still says now can result in it. Conflict was never his intent.

I still have my own doubts (hey, I named myself after the doubter, Thomas the Twin, after all!).

Continue to seek the truth and you will find it in some shape of form. God loves you. We all need help and each other.

Twin

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would also say you need to seek a therapist and get help. Your mind is focused on negative thoughts and you admitted panic attacks. Maybe something for anxiety. I myself and a suffer from anxiety and take medicine for it daily. Nothing to be ashamed up. Also establish a daily prayer ritual.I love the Anglican Morning and Evening prayers. Keep your mind focused on the good things in this world. Read scripture. I will pray for you and pray for me

5. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic

Thank you so much for you’re reply I use to read the bible regularly In fact every day at 8pm use to be my time for bible study I struggle to read the bible now, this whole thing that triggered this whole thought process was when my grandfather died, I wondered if he was afraid if he knew he was going to die, then I wondered if he was in heaven and then that dreadful thought came to me “what if there is no God or heaven” lately I try to avoid thinking about God because if I think about God then that thought about him not being real comes back and sometimes it can even trigger a panic attack because I want him to be real so badly, I’ve tried speaking to my family about this, but their reply is usually “that’s the devil attacking you, you need to pray more” praying hasn’t helped me get my faith back, when I use to pray, I would feel so much love for God and I would be so sad that Jesus died on the cross it would bring tears to my eyes, when I use to pray it would make me feel very sorry for my sins, but now when I pray they feel like just words to me I don’t feel even a fraction of what I used to and I try to tell myself “I have nothing to lose by believing, but everything to gain” this is just a very dark time for me, 2 years ago I wanted to be a Nun.

6. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic

When I hear other people’s experiences, it gives me hope, lately I’m just finding it really difficult to believe, especially since I’ve never seen with my own two eyes, and now I’m sounding like doubting Thomas.

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thomas had good reason to doubt. He received no rebuke from Jesus for doubting. He was invited to satisfy his doubts and so Jesus provided Thomas with evidence upon which to rest his faith. Don't be afraid to tell Jesus of your doubts, he already knows and accepts you just as you are. He does not set entrance examinations for his disciples. There is no pass mark and no grades you have to make. Jesus does not turn away anyone who has been granted him by The Father. You have not been disloyal by being buffeted by doubt. The greatest of saints have gone through this before you. Talk it through with Jesus, somewhere where you will not be disturbed, preferably in the open air, out loud. Speak what comes to you in response and then get on with living for Jesus.

8. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Your family members are not wrong in saying it's a demonic attack to have such unwanted thoughts come unbidden and pester you. The invisible spiritual realm is real and is all around us, both demons and angels. The fallen angels (demons) want to make you lose your faith and separate you from God. The only tool they have is their lies, same as the father of lies, the serpent himself, who in the garden deceived Eve. They lie, hoping that you will abandon your belief in God.

But you have believed, and the One who lives in you (the Holy Spirit) is greater than they.
    1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

The Holy Spirit, who lives in you, is the very same eternal Spirit who lived in Peter when he encountered the lame man at the gate called Beautiful and said to him,
    Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
    And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
    And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
    (Acts 3:6-8)

He is the same Spirit who lived in Paul and empowered him to take authority over demons:
    Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour (Acts 16:18). Paul acted in his authority as a believer, by the power that is in the name of Jesus, and God put that demon to heel.

Because you have believed unto salvation, nothing can separate you from the love of Christ without your consent.
    Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
    Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
    Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
    Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    Rom 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You've remarked about your deep emotional feelings, both before and since the passing of your grandfather. Emotions are a two-edged sword, for they can affect us in good ways or for ill. But as Christians, our emotions do not define our beliefs. They are not foolproof indicators of what is genuine. As Christians, We walk by faith, not by sight (2 Cor. 5:7). In a situation like this it's important to push aside the emotions and recognize that they are from an outside source and are not reliable indicators of reality. The reality is this: God loves you, Jesus Christ died to set you free, and the Greater One lives in you. Before Jesus ascended, He told the assembled believers, these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils (Mark 16:17).

So here is what I want you to do. I want you to start out by using your emotions in a positive way. I want you to get angry at the demons! Tell them off! Tell them in no uncertain terms, in the name of Jesus Christ your Savior, to shut up and leave, and to stay far away! And I want you to ask the Lord to command His angels to stand 'round about you in an unpenetrable hedge to keep the demons away. And confess to Him that you're sorry you doubted Him, that you were wrong to rely so heavily on your feelings rather than trusting His word (His promise!) that He would never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews13:5). And ask Him to take away the doubts and fears, and replace them with peace. And then, begin praising and thanking God (this day and every day for His goodness and assistance. And return to your Bible reading routine.
    Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
    Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

In fact, show the devil you mean business: tell him that any time he tries to come back with doubt and fear, you'll double down by praising God twice as long and reading your Bible twice as long!

Philippians 4:6 says to pray and give thanks in advance for the answer. Praising the Lord aloud is a key element. When you praise God and show Him your thanks, He is glorified and honored, and you can expect answers to your prayers. Also, when your mind is occupied with telling your mouth to speak of God's greatness, your mind cannot think dark thoughts or faithless emotions. Try it! I guarantee it, you cannot shout "Hallelujah! Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Praise the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!" and at the same time feel doubt or depression. Any time you notice those faithless thoughts trying to creep back into your head, start praising God! Start quoting God's promises to you from Scripture, such as Hebrews 13:5, 1 John 4:4, and Deut. 28:13. As you "think on these things" which are true, honest and pure (Philippians 4:8), you will be acting obediently and faithfully to God.

Make this your new habit! After 30 days of this, the demons will be too sick of hearing you praise God to stick around!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  9. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    One more scripture, James 4:7 -- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

10. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Thank you I will take all the advice I’ve received here and hopefully I will come back to you all with good news I really hope I can come back with good news because I don’t like feelings this way sometimes I envy my dog that she doesn’t have these sorts of worries

Rexlion likes this.
  11. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I just wanted to add a couple of verses about God being invisible, from the holy Scriptures themselves... That's one of the clearest ways to know that you're not self-deluded!

John 1:18
    No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.

1 Timothy 1:17
    the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God,

John 4:24
    God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

That being said, I am sorry about your terrors of going to hell, because that's a very particular Roman Catholic spiritual problem. If you are in Christ Jesus, then have peace... You've made it! you're in the bosom of the Ancient of Days, and he will be even more faithful to you than you are to him

Philippians 4:6
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

caillte, Rexlion and Thomas Didymus like this.
  12. Thomas Didymus

Thomas Didymus Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Always stand up for what you believe in, even when approaching God. By doing this, He will see you come to Him with honesty and sincerity. While we can be sincerely wrong about things in life, whenever something deeply challenges us, it gives us perspective to nurture and grow. God is slow to anger and is patient with us, understanding our troubles and difficulties, never being far away. The angels in Heaven rejoice when we turn to God regardless of how bad or good things are when we show we are willing to change and accepting the change that comes with it.

5 years ago, I suffered panic attacks also, it being a dark time for me too. Getting comfortable talking with others, sharing concerns I thought no one would care about, was quite a struggle, and sometimes still is. It seemed as if so many changes were happening all at once; college, maintaining relationships, finding fulfilling work, learning to live with a physical illness that is now under control. My own walk with the Lord is young.

During New Years' Day 2021, my niece, who had recently turned age 9, wanted to talk about God with me. It was great! We went over Noah' s Ark, Joseph in Egypt, the Ten Commandments, the Holy Trinity, and Jesus in the Gospels; going over them little by little, nothing too much too fast, trying to plant seeds with her, figuratively speaking. Her face lit up with joy as I did my best describing them to her (she looks up to me). She told me "God hates bad people." I then told her " Yes, God does hate the bad things people do, called sin, but still loves them. God wants them to stop doing bad things and do good. This starts by loving God as much as He loves us. God is love. Love is truth and grace. Truth says 'God hates sin'. Grace says 'God loves the sinner'. Because God is love, He hates the sin but lives the sinner. " She was captivated, never having heard that before!

She doesn't get to talk about these things a lot. She has heard that God's not real. I was there when this happened. I got real angry with the other person, ready to somehow address the situation without losing my cool in front of my niece. Before I was about to quickly respond back, she already had a reply of her own which took me by surprise. She said to the other person, "I love God. I forgive you." She taught me something important that day. The incident continues to inspire me.

Here's poem of mine I created back in high school (grade 9). It's a personal comfort to me when I need a reminder when times are hard, including the death of a loved one.

Tonight,
    I see the coming of the angels.
    Tonight,
    I see you smile
    Looking out that window
    At the sky
    You say,
    Come and see the stars
    Glowing bright
    Your head up high
    Side by side
    You and I
    Tonight,
    I said,
    Is the night I go.
    "I know",
    You replied.
    I'll miss you...

Thanks for letting me share, caillte, and may God direct your footsteps in blessing.

Twin

caillte and Rexlion like this.
  13. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I am praying for you!

14. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic
    thank you for you’re wonderful reply also the prom is beautiful, today I stumbled across this and I really feel like it was meant for me to read:
    Few Love the Cross of Jesus
    JESUS has always many who love His heavenly kingdom, but few who bear His cross. He has many who desire consolation, but few who care for trial. He finds many to share His table, but few to take part in His fasting. All desire to be happy with Him; few wish to suffer anything for Him. Many follow Him to the breaking of bread, but few to the drinking of the chalice of His passion. Many revere His miracles; few approach the shame of the Cross. Many love Him as long as they encounter no hardship; many praise and bless Him as long as they receive some comfort from Him. But if Jesus hides Himself and leaves them for a while, they fall either into complaints or into deep dejection. Those, on the contrary, who love Him for His own sake and not for any comfort of their own, bless Him in all trial and anguish of heart as well as in the bliss of consolation. Even if He should never give them consolation, yet they would continue to praise Him and wish always to give Him thanks. What power there is in pure love for Jesus—love that is free from all self-interest and self-love!

Do not those who always seek consolation deserve to be called mercenaries? Do not those who always think of their own profit and gain prove that they love themselves rather than Christ? Where can a man be found who desires to serve God for nothing? Rarely indeed is a man so spiritual as to strip himself of all things. And who shall find a man so truly poor in spirit as to be free from every creature? His value is like that of things brought from the most distant lands.

If a man give all his wealth, it is nothing; if he do great penance, it is little; if he gain all knowledge, he is still far afield; if he have great virtue and much ardent devotion, he still lacks a great deal, and especially, the one thing that is most necessary to him. What is this one thing? That leaving all, he forsake himself, completely renounce himself, and give up all private affections. Then, when he has done all that he knows ought to be done, let him consider it as nothing, let him make little of what may be considered great; let him in all honesty call himself an unprofitable servant. For truth itself has said: “When you shall have done all these things that are commanded you, say: ‘we are unprofitable servants.’”

Then he will be truly poor and stripped in spirit, and with the prophet may say: “I am alone and poor.” No one, however, is more wealthy than such a man; no one is more powerful, no one freer than he who knows how to leave all things and think of himself as the least of all. Imitation of Christ ❣

15. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I like this scripture, there's so much in it:
    Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    Heb 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
    Heb 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
    Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Jesus knows you completely, right down to your innermost being. That includes your thoughts, your fears, your doubts and anxieties. He's been where you are. He felt the same things and was tempted with the same sorts of temptations as you. Yet, as the Bible tells us, Jesus lived a sinless life; that's something none of us, in fact no ordinary human being, could do. But because He understands all of what we go through, He is perfectly suited to be the one to forgive us when we slip and fall.

Jesus is there for you. He's seated on a throne of grace, and He extends to you His understanding, His sympathy, His mercy, His unconditional love, and His undeserved favor. He is ready to vouch for you to our heavenly Father. That is why you can go to Him "boldly" in prayer to receive reassurance of His mercy along with "grace to help" in this hour of your adversity.

God is faithful. Even when we have not been faithful, He remains faithful to us (2 Tim. 2:13) because that is His nature and He cannot deny Himself. You can depend on our Lord.

Have you ever read this?
    Footprints in the Sand
    One night I dreamed a dream. I was walking along the beach with my Lord. Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonging to me and one to my Lord.

When the last scene of my life shot before me I looked back at the footprints in the sand. There was only one set of footprints. I realized that this was at the lowest and saddest times of my life. This always bothered me and I questioned the Lord about my dilemma.

"Lord, You told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I'm aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I just don't understand why, when I need You most, You leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."​

16. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I tried everyone’s advice and today my doubts seem worse it makes me feel so sad in life the thought of God not being real is so devastating for me if sucks the joy out of life for me I can no longer enjoy anything with this thought festering in my mind it makes me very heavy hearted with a sinking feeling constantly in my chest

17. Thomas Didymus

Thomas Didymus Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    While I am not Roman Catholic myself, one of my favorite Catholics of all time is Saint Francis of Assisi. My favorite prayer of his is the Peace Prayer, the part of which I really like goes:

"LORD, Grant that I may not so much seek to be . . . understood, as to understand."

St. Francis' prayer pays lots of homage to the kind of prayer King Solomon made 2 millennia before him. Both men humbly ask God to gift with a wise heart, to see as God sees.

Anyone can possess knowledge, using it for their own means at their own discretion and content. Wisdom balances intellect. What intellect gains, wisdom shares with the world and everyone in it. It is the blessed daily gift of giving that we ask from God.

King Solomon's prayer is found in 1 Kings 3:9

This video, "God's Glasses", expresses the idea:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-oYtixsAgM
    (If you laugh at it because of how surreal it comes off, you are not a bad person)

Franciscans are dedicated to what they call the "Spiritual Works of Mercy"
    1.) Admonish sinners.
    2.) Instruct the uninformed
    3.) Counsel the doubtful
    4.) Comfort the sorrowful
    5.) Be patient with those in error
    6.) Forgive offenses
    7.) Pray for the living and the dead

caillte likes this.
  18. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I'm still praying for you, caillte. I'm believing that you will feel much better tomorrow.

Psa 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    Psa 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    Psa 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Psa 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Psa 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Please remember that when you are stuck down in a valley, the hills around you may look insurmountable. But you have nowhere to go but up, and as you climb out of the valley you will soon be on a hilltop where things will look very different.

It is not normal for you to feel such heaviness of fear and anxiety, is it? It is not natural, right? Recognize that the source of this fear and anxiety is supernatural. Keep resisting the evil thoughts.

19. caillte

caillte New Member

England
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Thank you, I made a last minute decision to say the rosary last night before bed, I got halfway through before falling asleep I kept waking myself and starting again but I just kept falling asleep over and over I definitely feel a bit more at peace today I’ve had some lovely advice on here and I’ll keep you all updated as the days progress thanks to everyone for being so patient and kind with me. Godbless

bwallac2335 likes this.
  20. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Tiffy and Thomas Didymus like this.