The call to ordination and restlessness.

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Simon Richardson, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I sure did.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Oh, you and your love of tradition bwallac. Mark 7:8-9. :laugh:

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would take that post serious if it was a serious reply

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest, [did thou], that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

5. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Sorry guys, I was just informed privately that this a trad Anglican forum - something I didn't pick up when I first joined. I sort of assumed Anglicans weren't as repressive as Catholics (from whence I come), but my bad. I won't bother you with WO anymore. I am not really sure why most of you don't join the Anglican Ordinariate since you are just as stuck in the past as the rad trad Catholics, but then there is room for everyone at God's table. :) I will go somewhere else and find a forum where Anglicans are actually inclusive. It's been a blast!

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I would take that reply serious if it was a serious reply. :laugh:

7. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Why would we want to join the Ordinariate which chains us to the progressivism of the modernist Popes? The papacy is a failure, and even the older Roman doctrines are a big impediment to true piety.

On the other hand, you might find in Pope Francis and the institutions he is setting up, an incredibly inclusive environment which isn't chained to old documents and formulations, like we are. We have the old divines and ancient fathers, while they have the "God of Surprises", freshness and the new air of discovery. So who knows, he might surprise you with a very welcoming invitation to ministry. In the end, I do wish that you and all of us Christians would merely submit to the Lord, rather than trying to craftily find a way for him to be conformed to us and our wishes.

8. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    If you find it can you please let us all know

Tiffy and Annie Grace like this.
  9. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I wish you would stay. While I am a traditionalist it is nice to have new voices around

10. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)

LOL - will do.

Aw, that is so sweet. And yet, there are such snarky posters on here too. I love a good disagreement, but I really don't care much for snarkiness. Well, I guess any online forum is going to be a dangerous place, given that human beings are so different - that is our strength as well as our weakness. What I find so strange (although perfectly usual) is that so many people think that they 'know' all the answers and that their interpretation is the 'one true and right one'. I came from the Catholic Church that believes it is the one true church and even here I find that there are people who believe traditional Anglicanism is the one true interpretation of Christianity. I guess I just feel blessed that I have investigated so many religions in my life because it has demonstrated to me that no one, no one, no one actually KNOWS what the truth is about God or Jesus or how people should live their lives. We can choose to believe a particular creed or set of beliefs, but just because we choose to do so, doesn't make it so. Atheists fall into the same error, they claim to know that God doesn't exist. That is as arrogant as a religious person claiming to know that their belief system is the right one. Most of my family describe themselves as agnostics because the admit they don't know whether there is a God or not but they respect that others want or need to believe in such a being.

I believe in the Creed myself because I choose to do so, not because I have had any proof. The Bible says many things but there is no proof that it is the word of God, and even if there were, there is no way on earth that anyone can prove that their own interpretation of it is the correct one. I have seen the same arrogant arguments used on Catholic forums that I see here. Disparge another religion to build up your own. What I feel about that is sadness. Christians could be such a force for good in the world if they only wouldn't fight over differences in interpretation and focus on the message of loving each other and serving God through serving each other. God is very patient with us all.

I might hang around for awhile to see how things play out, but I just don't need to get involved in contentious disagreements about interpretation. And since this is basically a trad forum, I am not sure there is really much point in my being here. If I can't find a forum that is more welcoming and inclusive, I guess I could always start my own, but that sounds like an awful lot of work - lol. Cheers.

11. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Hey that sounds like me. I'm a non believer but I would like you to stay

Annie Grace likes this.
  12. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Even non believers surely believe in something though, just not the kind of things that organised religion believes you must believe to be acceptable to God.