The Anglican Rosary

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Chartreux, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

I recently got one of these:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/877895...ry-rope-for-the?ref=shop_home_active_30&sca=1

I ordered mine in brown, though. I have been through many different kinds of Anglican rosaries. Usually they tend to be very flamboyant and tacky. I've bought ones from eBay, the more pricey ones from fullcirclebeads and even ruggedrosaries, and they all seemed very off. I was usually never satisfied with the combination of beads and crosses, the flexibility or the kind of string/chains used to link them, and everything else. I felt the Anglican rosary in the chotki style was the best option for my tastes. Using the paracord was also a good idea and it has a good flexibility when rolled up or put in your pocket. Also looks and feels nice.

2. AugustusTopladyFan

AugustusTopladyFan New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I prefer the term prayer beads, as prayer beads are an ancient tradition. Seems to me the term and notion of a "rosary" is wholly Roman.

3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I suppose it depends what you use it for. If praying the Rosary one would probably call them Rosary Beads.

4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I possess a beautiful Rosary. During the carnage that was the First World War my maternal great-grandfather served in France. While in France he purchased a Rosary. On his return he gave it to his wife. She in turn passed it on to her eldest daughter (my maternal grandmother). It then went to her eldest daughter, my mother, and eventually to me.

My problem is going to be which of my children I pass it on to. None of them seem at all interested in the item itself or its history. I'm tempted to pass it to a niece who I think will treasure it.

Fr. Brench likes this.