The Psalms in Plainsong

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Moses, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    A CoE priest recently recorded the whole Coverdale psalter in plainsong, with a little commentary before each psalm. It's lovely:

Shane R and Ananias like this.
  2. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Great stuff! I love the Coverdale psalter.

3. Cooper

Cooper Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    So beautiful, will recommend it to our rector... Are there any good books on Anglican plainsong?

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is some explanation of plain song in the back of the hymnal. For example, these instructions begin on page 639a. in the RECs Book of Common Praise 2017. This is also where the service music is printed; that is the tune(s) for the graduals, canticles, and Gloria etc. I don't have a 1982 hymnal at the moment but this final section, after all of the hymns, is a common feature of the American hymnals.

anglican74 likes this.
  6. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    I'm pretty sure the one he's using in the video is A Manual of Plainsong for Divine Service by Briggs and Frere. It uses an easier style of notation that puts each note directly above the appropriate syllable. It's on internet archive if you want to take a look before buying a copy https://archive.org/details/manualofplainson00brig

There's also St. Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter published by Lancelot Andrewes press. The learning curve is a bit steeper, and the translation is slightly different than the one in the BCP, but it's better for helping you understand psalm tones so that you can match any tone to any psalm. They also publish Rhythm, Meter, and Tempo in Gregorian Chant, which I assume goes into more detail although I haven't read it.

The one crucial bit is that you have to be able to sing your scales before the books will help.

anglican74 likes this.
  7. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Whoa...! Why don't we all get told about this?? :news: