Orthodox Christians embrace woke leftism; Greek Archbishop 'prays for social justice'

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by anglican74, Aug 21, 2020.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Hey everyone, check this out... I couldn't believe it!

https://orthochristian.com/133439.html

GREEK ARCHBISHOP ELPIDOPHOROS PRAYS FOR BIDEN’S PRESIDENCY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE AT DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION (+VIDEO)

Archbishop Elpidophoros, the head of the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, offered the closing benediction for the third night of the Democratic National Convention last night.

In his prayer, the Archbishop prayed that God would shine His light upon Biden to serve well as president, and that we might be inspired to “fight against injustice, inequality, and hatred.”

The Greek Archdiocese previously awarded Biden with its Athenagoras Human Rights Award in 2015.

Abp. Elpidophoros said:

Greetings, I am Archbishop Elpidophoros of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Let us pray.

Most merciful and loving God, as we gather in soberness of mind and of heart for the sake of our nation and its future, we pray that You would shine the light of Your countenance upon the delegates of this convention, and upon Vice President Joe Biden for the highest office in the land.

As we face the future as one American nation, bring us to our best selves, and inspire our better angels in peace, in fairness, and in generosity, that we may fight against injustice, inequality, and hatred, that we may achieve a common good, a greater good, in the name of the Holy Trinity we pray

344674.p.jpg

2. tstor

tstor Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian - Protestant
    It is funny because I know many Orthodox Christians who insist their church is the only standard-bearer against liberalism.

anglican74 likes this.
  3. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I know!! Just because they came from a backward part of the world that the liberals didn't bother corrupting doesn't mean that they have any immunity

4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    By and large though the Orthodox are a bastion against this. This guy pretty much stands alone I would imagine.

5. tstor

tstor Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian - Protestant
    Not exactly. Orthodoxy in the West isn't much different than any other sect/denomination.

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican

backward

having made less progress than is normal or expected.​

I am sorry but this statement is waspy at best. The Greeks have contributed significantly to the advancement of civilisation in many areas, including some of the finest theological writing ever, and it might be said that not everything America Leads the world in is all that great, that should not conclude our ability to listen to each other.

Just because you are a Christian you are not excluded from having or expressing a political opinion. There are Christians on both the left and the right of politics. Our challenge in this is always to ensure that our faith informs our politics, and not the other way around. Sadly much of political discourse in the west generally has denigrated to the point where anathematisation and ridicule have become normal rather than exceptional, which simply leads to a divisive climate for all political debate. Democracy (a gift from the greeks) was not supposed to be like this.

I Australia the Orthodox are all over the political spectrum, however I would say that they are somewhat differentiated from other denominations firstly on the strength of their cultural ties, but also orthodoxy in general is far more ontological rather than missional in its approach.

Like many in the world I am somewhat amazed that a nation of 330 million people after an exhaustive process to find the brightest and the best to lead the nation, brings to the fore these two candidates. Yet let me say the Australian process whilst perhaps less gruelling and destructive, performs equally dismally. If what we see is the best we have to offer then we are in trouble.

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I wonder who Trump will roll out to upstage him? The Anti-Christ? (Would Trump have his e-mail address from last time he invited him as favourite after dinner speaker)? :laugh: :sadangel:

8. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'm not talking about historical contributions, but the current political situation... Greece hasn't been a political power for at least a thousand years, and hasn't even been a country for the last 500 years... Most of Eastern Europe has been so poor, that the leftist infiltration has spared them, and this explains why Eastern Orthodoxy has been less corrupted by modernism

The Western Europeans both invented the modern world, and then became corrupted by it

But now even the Eastern Orthodox are chasing the coattails of wokery and social justice, and anyone who claims they had some kind of divine protection is deluding himself