The 1979 Book of Common Prayer (USA)

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Sean611, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is ACNA 'writing' their own BCP?!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  2. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Yeah, it's in the making. I think they have an Ordinal already approved.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, that certainly seems to be true for the new ACNA church I am attending. Last night I checked the liturgy printed in the service program. Yesterday we used variations of the 1662 BCP and the 1979 BCP Rite 1 (Traditional) and Rite 2 (Contemporary). While the variations seem to be closer to the 1662 BCP and 1979 BCP Rite 1, the language was often modernized--sometimes switching from the 1979 Rite 1 in one line to Rite 2 in the next line, or just modernizing the 1662 language. The Eucharist liturgy was definitely keyed to the 1662 BCP.

Here is what is printed at the end of the service program.

"We are indebted to the Anglican Mission in America for providing our communion liturgy, which is its revision of the service from the 1662 English Book of Common Prayer."​

Personally, I think we should adopt either the 1979 BCP or the 1662 BCP, until the new ACNA prayer book is complete. Is it possible to be Anglican without a prayer book? Some Sundays I feel like returning to the TEC services in town, if for no other reason than to have a 1979 prayer book in my hand--that I am comfortable holding--and the same pew Bible and hymn book that has been there for a decade or two.

This morning, I sent emails to both the archdiocese and diocese offices requesting an update on the new prayer book. All this juggling of prayer books is quite discomforting.

The Scripture version is juggled also. The Sunday lectionary readings printed in the service program bounce from ESV, NIV 1984, and NASV 1995.

The Priests are in transition--those of us in the congregation never know who will deliver the homily. Reminds me of what church may have been like when circuit rider preachers dotted the frontier. Some follow the scheduled lectionary, others do not.

And music--we usually are blessed with someone on the keyboard or guitar.

Please pray for our Parish.

...Scottish Monk

4. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I'm confused -- is your parish AMiA or ACNA?

5. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    That makes two of us who are confused! (chuckle chuckle)

I will send you a personal message.

...Scottish Monk