Is Forgiveness of Sins received from Communion?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jul 10, 2020.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Reading a book recommend to me here about liturgies. It was written by a Lutheran. He has mentioned several times that forgiveness of sins is obtained in Communion. I have never seen this outside of Lutherans and maybe Catholics. What is the Anglican stance or thoughts on it?

Shane R likes this.
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I would say no forgiveness of sins is received in the Absoloution after the Confession and well before Communion which never in an Anglican Church comes before the Ministry of The Word.

Until we have confessed our sins and been comforted by the words of the Absolution, Anglicans do not believe we are worthy to even receive Communion.

It is God who counts us worthy through repentance and faith. Sinners can't rightly receive Communion, in fact far from obtaining forgiveness 1 Cor.11:27-32 tells us that they recieve condemnation.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Gotta watch your punctuation there, Tiffy! I am guessing that you mean, "I would say no. (period) Forgiveness of sins is received in the Absolution..."
    Or did you really mean to say, "no forgiveness of sins is received in the Absolution"?

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thank you Rexlion. A comma makes all the difference between me being Orthodox Anglican and a Heretical pariah.

Of course I meant to write: "I would say No! - 'exclamaion mark' , Forgiveness of Sins is received in the Absolution . . ."

Your guess is absolutely correct and thank you for noticing that feux pas of mine. Fortunately the mistake was sufficiently discernable in the context provided by the rest of the sentence. Just goes to show how important even the smallest jots and tittles are seen to be by Our Lord.

Actually, thinking about it, I really believe forgiveness of sins can come even before the Absolution. (In which case technically speaking my mistake could even be literally not mistaken).

Our Heavenly Father runs out to meet us the instant we admit we have "Sinned against heaven and before Him and are no longer worthy etc." Luke 15:18-19. That may have been what brought us to a communion servive in the first place so could have happened sometime during the previous week. Communion just seals the deal, the way breakfast did for Peter on the Galilean lake shore after an unexpectly good catch of exactly 153 fish. Peter still neeeded some convincing though that he was truly forgiven and restored to his leadership position. Hence the three loving questions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020