A (somewhat) new Anglican, looking to learn

Discussion in 'New Members' started by S. DeVault, Jul 1, 2020.

1. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello brothers and sisters in Christ!

Happy to join the forums, I look forward to making friends and learning a lot. I'm 24 years old, in rural southern Wisconsin. God willing, I'll be married in October!

I am a convert to Christianity (four years ago). My father is a Pakistani Sunni Muslim, my mother is an American Roman Catholic. Although I was baptized Roman Catholic soon after my birth, I was raised Muslim, and had plans to study to become an Imam. When I left home for college however, I was introduced properly to Christianity, and by the grace of God my heart was turned and I eventually converted. I initially began attending RC services, as that is what I was most familiar with, however, the more I read and studied, the more I found myself torn between the principles of the reformation with the tradition of Roman Catholicism. A friend suggested that I look into Anglicanism.

My fiancee and I began attending services at a parish of the Anglican Catholic Church, and we soon knew that this is where we are supposed to be. Currently, I'm discerning if God is calling me to Holy Orders. I'm taking it slow, but I'm also blessed to have a priest who dedicates a lot of time helping me with discernment and I currently help serve at Mass, and will soon hopefully be a licensed lay reader!

I'm joining the forums to interact with other Anglicans (our parish is very small). I hope to learn a lot, and perhaps this can help a bit with my discernment.

Looking forward to meeting you all on the boards!

Thomist Anglican likes this.
  2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's a great story. You're going to All Saints Janesville? I used to know someone else who was a member of that parish.

3. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah, that's my parish

Shane R likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome among us

S. DeVault likes this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    :signwelcome: I'm sure the Holy Spirit will guide you truly as you spend time with Him in prayer (a 2-way conversation). :)

Do you feel any particular urge to reach out to members of the Muslim persuasion? Just wondering. You are in a rather special position, knowing as much as you do of their beliefs and traditions.

S. DeVault likes this.
  6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Welcome Brother. :tiphat:God speed with your LLM training, but remember it is not supposed to be 'shallow ending' for the priesthood, it can be a real vocation in itself. Remember if you lack knowledge, ask God.

Rexlion: However much he may be 'urged to reach out to the Muslim persuasion', I would advise he become well established in the faith Acts 16:5, before throwing himself in the deep end without yet being a strong and confident swimmer.

S. DeVault likes this.
  7. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Not urging, "just wondering."

LLM... interesting, in the range of US legal studies the abbreviation LL.M. signifies Master of Laws degree.

8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Licensed Lay Minister, what used in the C of E to be called a Reader. Unordained, still a voluntary layperson, so not an NSM (Non Stipeniary Minister).

9. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My church, the Anglican Catholic Church has a mission diocese in Pakistan. As I become more learned in the faith, and especially if God does will me to be a priest, I'd love to work with the mission there. I grew up speaking both English and Urdu (the official language of Pakistan), and spent half my childhood there so I think I might be a good fit! It's not without its dangers, however, and since my soon to be wife is American I'm not sure how she would adjust

Rexlion likes this.
  10. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I hear that! Our Lord won't tell you to go there unless He also tells your wife the same, I'm quite confident.

I recall when I felt strongly that God was leading me and my family to make some big change, I prayed about it and got the answer, "Move to Tulsa." Well, Tulsa was 1,000 miles away from our home in Michigan. I thought, my wife is going to think I've flipped out! God, you'll have to talk to her! Well, when the moment finally came that I was about to say something to her about it, she turned to me and said, "You know, I think the Lord wants us to move to Tulsa." :yes:

bwallac2335 and S. DeVault like this.