Coincidence or Auspice?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Tiffy, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    An Auspice is an omen drawn from observing birds.

During the recording of the Eucharist service for Sunday last, 21st June 2020 at St Andrews, my local Parish Church, this fleeting incident was recorded.

At the precise moment when the priest paused for a second, after reading the statement of Jesus Christ, Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight. But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows".", the shadow of a bird flashed across the east window above him.

Father Graham was of course completely unaware that this little miracle of timing had taken place. You may like to witness it here for yourself.

Throughout the entire Eucharist service, which lasted 30 minutes or so, not a single other bird cast a shadow on that window.

What are the odds against the probability of these split second timing events all coinciding exactly in this one instant of time.

To watch and wonder, tap on the link:

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight. But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows."

Can amazing coincidences give us glimpses of God in action and what should we all learn from this particular one, do you think?

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Anyone else have some amazing coincidences to relate?

3. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I have one for you, and would not have believed it except that I was there lending expertise to the live-stream tech. The parish involved lovingly accepts me as one of their own, even as I am an Anglican among their midst. :) My wife, as most should know by now, is a cantor in the Byzantine rite. The church sits on several acres of land, managing to be the "church in the woods". They were having service outside on Pentecost Sunday, due to social distancing, and it was an absolutely still day. Quiet, cool, and enjoyable - for Atlanta in the Spring that's GREAT. Also of importance is the fact that I said it was a still day.

At the moment the Chalice was lifted before offering the Eucharist to the people, a warm wind whipped through area, whipping the branches in the trees, rustling leaves, ruffling the robes of the priest and deacons, and the clothes of the parishioners. I say warm, but it was more like it didn't make us cold on a cool day.

It was like it was God saying "It's Pentecost. I am still here. Jesus is still risen, and the Holy Spirit is still among you."

Tiffy likes this.
  4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    And we are left wondering and why at that very moment this act of nature should take place.

As John Westley once commented, "My heart was strangley warmed". These little coincidences are what keeps faith 'alive'. Often unexpected, even unrequested but nonetheless very, very welcome.