Anglican Standard Text or Revised Standard Text

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jun 18, 2020.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Which one do you like better and why? Our priest actually switches between them during the service. He starts off with the Anglican Standard Text and then after the Nicene Creed switches to the Revised Standard Text.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You have me intrigued, for I have no idea what you mean. Is he changing books?

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The 2019 BCP contains both the Anglican Standard and the Renewed Ancient texts (is this what you meant, bwallac?). Changing from one to the other in the middle of a service would be as simple as flipping pages. Not the case in the BCP your parish uses, Botolph?

We were having the Renewed Ancient Text until last Thanksgiving, and then the rector switched to the Anglican Standard Text. He's stayed with it since then. At first I found the change refreshing, but lately it has started to strike me as overly verbose during the Prayer of Consecration (the rector doesn't skip a single word of it, even though half of it is optional).

4. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Yes that is what I meant.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's a very TECish thing to do. Was he originally trained in the use of 1979? I'm fairly confident that is not within the letter of the rubrics. I would suggest to parishes that want to use both from time to time to use one during Festival time and the other during Ordinary time. I am not permitted to use the book for celebrations of Holy Communion so I shall not give an opinion of its Rites.

Stalwart likes this.
  6. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would love to hear your opinion anyway. I figure he probably was a priest in the TEC. He is in his 50's

7. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    When the eucharistic liturgies were still in trial stage they were called "Longer Form" and "Shorter Form." The Longer Form coincides with the Anglican Standard Text and the Shorter Form became the Renewed Ancient Text. I thought I still had pdfs of the trials but I don't, unless they are on a crusty old flash drive I don't feel like searching for today. The Longer Form was supposed to be the main Sunday service. The Shorter Form was intended for weekday eucharists or occasional Feast Days. In practice, most of the parishes that bothered to use the trials were using the Shorter Form exclusively.

I was briefly a member of a parish in one of the more mainstream ACNA dioceses (ie. not REC or MDAS or C4SO). This was in TX several years ago. When my wife and I first started going they had a booklet that had a very stripped down liturgy which I am guessing was some form of the Communion of the Sick. When the trials came out the parish started using the trial but only the Shorter Form. They were rather an odd mix of churchmanship; neither of the priests was a cradle Anglican and both were Evangelicals. They did the whole blended music thing, celebrated facing the people, but vested all the way up to Chasubles and used little flares like a Sanctus bell while using the shortest liturgy they could get away with.

If I were to celebrate one of those Communion services, I would choose the Anglican Standard Text. It is not radically different from the Missal, except for the deletion of the Asperges and Confiteor and the rearrangement of the Consecration prayers. I do not typically celebrate according to the Missal but I have a couple of times at parishes other than my home parish. The Ordinary of the Mass in the Renewed Ancient Text is incredibly generic and could just as easily appear in a high church ELCA parish or a Novus Ordo Mass. Maybe that was the point, to make something more ecumenical.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  8. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am kinda shocked that they just did not adapt the 1928 BCP as I have yet to hear anyone speak bad of it.

GreatfulAnglican and Stalwart like this.
  9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I guess I should add that our priest has been moving more high church as of late. Even passing out something written by an Anglo Catholic Priest.

10. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
  11. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If they were remotely interested in that, the REC had already done the work with the 2005 edition of their BCP. It also has 2 rites for Holy Communion, a 1662 and a 1928. But none of the dioceses that came out of TEC cared to look at the REC's work. And there is a modern language version of the book as well as, since 2017, an accompanying hymnal.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  12. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    What BCP do you prefer?

13. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That’s probably what it is. @Shane R are these translations current in the AngloCatholic world? Something tells me he might’ve rejected the ESV (best current translation), or the KJV itself, out of ideological considerations.

14. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm authorized to use any up to Canada 1962 (with the exception of the original REC BCP). The Canadian book is an excellent BCP. The Ghana 1960 book lends itself to a very high church celebration of Holy Communion. I haven't looked closely at most of the rest of the Ghanaian book.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  15. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    We use the ESV.

Stalwart likes this.
  16. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm confused by the question. Which translations were you asking about?

17. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Interesting. I only have a 28 BCP 79BCP and the 2019BCP. Is there one you would recommend getting for home devotions. Sometimes we say the Great Litany before bed or Family Evening Prayers from the 2019. Anything to long is hard with a 4 year old.

18. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    https://deusbooks.org/product/anglican-prayers-children-jacqueline-jamison/
    [​IMG]

I ordered this to see what was in it. My daughters are 5 and 2. It's really targeted to kids who are reading, say age 7-12. But my 5 year old is proficient at memorization and she's learnt some of the material. The graphics in it are great and the 2 year old enjoys those: they are great Christian works of art and iconography.

S. DeVault, Rexlion and bwallac2335 like this.
  19. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Good price (cheaper than Amazon) and free shipping. I ordered one for my daughter's kids. Thanks for posting this!

Shane R likes this.
  20. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The AST and the RST, mentioned at the top.