Christian responses to US Politics

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Tiffy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You do know how to tell when a politician is lying, don't you? Any time his lips move. :rolleyes:

That said, I'm glad we have a president with an entrepreneurial rather than bureaucratic mindset. Stuff gets done more rapidly.

3. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    This virus must have billions of people consciously contemplating their own mortality right now. That is a good thing. Many of them will be more open to the Gospel than before because they suddenly realize they could die at any time, and they know they aren't ready. This is a great time to bring up the love of God and the peace of mind we have in Christ, in our conversations and communications.

4. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    https://alphanewsmn.com/approve-trump-covid-19/
    I'm happy we have a president with an entrepreneurial, rather than a bureaucratic, mindset. I heard a story on tv this morning about a governor calling the President and saying his state needed something quickly but the CDC was telling him it would take months. Next day, Trump went over to the CDC in person, had a meeting with someone, and then the state immediately got what it needed. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Surely that is what a President is supposed to do all the time, isn't it. Get things done. "The Buck Stops Here" and all that. :news:

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am happy he is your President.

The world we live in has some interesting leaders, Trump, Putin, Yong Un, Jinping, and each of them has their particular idiosyncratic flair and particular affection for power/authority. Each of them speak one way or another as if the answer to none but themselves. Ultimately they are all people to whom much has been entrusted, and much expected. All of them have the capacity to be long on promise and short of delivery. They all live within some sort of constitutional framework, even if they fail to acknowledge it.

History may well be a tougher judge than any of us. Time will tell.

The one thing that concerns me a little is that we seem to be short on statesmen. For the rest of the world there is a sense in which the 45th President appears to have brought to Pennsylvania Avenue something neither entrepreneurial or bureaucratic but rather more the apparent honesty of a Real Estate Agent mixed with the theatric in keeping with reality television shows like The Apprentice. However I recognise I speak as an outsider and it is little of my concern.

Tiffy likes this.
  7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I do so agree with this sentiment, and am heartily glad he is not mine. :laugh:

8. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Nor would I wish to trade orange man for strawhead! :cheers: Not that I have anything against Boris, but he does look funny with that tousled mop.

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    We all wish him well again soon, so we can call him a dickhead again without appearing to be cruel and uncaring. :laugh:

10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  11. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That is HILARIOUS!

12. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Yeah, he's no rocket scientist.

13. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Psalm 146:3-4

Do not put your trust in princes,
    in mortals, in whom there is no help.
    When their breath departs, they return to the earth;
    on that very day their plans perish.​

14. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
  15. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Probably not enough to kill you though. Not as effectively anyhow as shooting up bleach would, like Trump suggests the 'medical people' should enquire into as a possible remedy for COVID19. :laugh::clap:

16. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Many people today are "tossed to and fro" and blown about by winds, not of doctrine, but of circumstances and the erroneous beliefs of the majority. The vast majority of humans do not have an intimate relationship with the Source of true wisdom. Those people are more easily misled and tread the wide boulevard of error.

Here is an ER physician who "follows the science," but I suspect he also follows the inner witness. He does not exhibit the spirit of fear, but one of a sound mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLVxx_lBLU&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

17. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Quite sensible, apart from the assumptions made concerning how the immune system might cope with COVID19. We have so far had an estimated 45,000 deaths of people in the UK, who effectively were killed by their own over stimulated immune systems to invasion of the COVID19 virus. (The figures are unreliable because deaths at home and in care homes are not counted, only deaths in hospital, currently 20,300+). America, with its much larger population has more COVID related deaths due to overstimulated immune system responses, than any other nation in the world. More even than many other nations all added together. COVID19 is not like ordinary flu. It is new flu, so no one had developed an immune response to it previously, and it is different enough for there to be a serious lack of data on how efficient any immunity might be at combating further infection or even if a person with antibodies present can still be infectious. We are yet to discover what antibodies in the blood will actually confer, and for how long, if they do.

Because of all these unique factors it is important not to overload hospitals by sudden waves of infection which may produce more serious cases than the hospitals can cope with. THAT is when large, uncontrollable local death tolls would be likely to happen. That is what happened in New York.

18. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  19. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Actually, if you had listened to the entire video, you would have heard the doctors point out that influenza cases have overloaded hospitals in certain isolated areas in some past years (they name some of these years), just like Covid. So the situation in New York and in Italy is not so novel after all; the difference is, MSM never hyped the issue when it happened with influenza the way they're hyping the issue with Covid.

Second, you should have heard the doctors say that the vast majority of hospitals are so un-busy, there is plenty of capacity to handle an influx of Covid cases. We prepared for such an influx, and other than a small swath of the east coast that influx never happened.

Too many people are like the reporters who interviewed those 2 doctors. The reporters kept asking the same questions and the doctors would say, we just explained that to you; here are the numbers again, hear are the facts again. The docs were much more restrained and patient than I would be when faced with people who'd already made up their minds to disbelieve what was said and who wouldn't or couldn't absorb the facts the doctors presented.

20. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The effect you mention in your final sentence is a common human trait. We all generally believe what we most want to believe. It takes insight into our own condition to gain the freedom from intellectual imprisonment, offered us by the ability to identify, hear and accept the truth.

I must confess, I am more inclined to take the testimony of doctors working at the critical interface seriously though, than statisticians and the politicians who are so fond of quoting those statistics, often ignorantly erroniously or knowingly manipulating them.

Another factor which seems to have been overlooked in all this is that flu deaths have not ceased when COVID19 came along. Flu is still out there killing people as well. COVID19 deaths are in addition to those which can normally be expected as a result of catching flu while in a vulnerable condition. The death toll 2019-2020 will have to include both figures along with auto accidents, fire, flood and crime. THEN we shall see by exactly how much COVID19 has actually increased the usual death rate. It should prove difficult to either hide or inflate that figure to serve one's own particular purpose, for whatever reason.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020