Please pray for me

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Geer, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Please pray for me, I am tempted by the sins of the flesh.

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Sometimes when I am tempted greatly in some way, I consider this verse:
    Heb 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
    Heb 12:2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
    Heb 12:3 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.
    Heb 12:4 In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.

It is so apropos that you should post this during Holy Week, the time when we remember how Jesus was tempted in the garden of Gethsemane. Jesus was tempted in every way that we are, yet he resisted every temptation and remained sinless (Heb. 4:15). In the garden that terrible night, Jesus was faced with voluntarily letting people torture him with thorns and whips and then nail him, naked, to a cross to die in the most humiliating, ignominious, and painful way of death then known to man. It was so terrible, his sweat was like droplets of blood. Yet He resisted the temptation to hold onto mortal flesh. He resisted the temptation to go on living as He had for more than 30 years. He resisted temptation to the point of shedding His very lifeblood.... for you and for me.

When it seems to me that resisting temptation is difficult, I remember that I don't have it nearly as bad as Jesus did. I haven't shed blood to resist sin. I have never even come close to doing that. I have it easy.

Jesus shed His blood so we who trust in His redemptive sacrifice would not be condemned. We do not need to resist temptation to earn salvation (we never could succeed!). Instead, we get to honor Him with our willing obedience. And we get to give all the honor and praise to our risen Savior for the unmerited privilege of being forgiven whenever we falter.

Tiffy and Geer like this.
  3. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    You are in my prayers.

4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA