Sinful thoughts

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Geer, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are always sinful thoughts coming into my mind, what should I do?

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Read Psalm 139:1-24 and 1 Cor.10:13, out loud a couple of times, then think of something edifying which will occupy your mind more productively.

Geer likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    That is understandable and not unexpected. Our flesh and the adversary are always in opposition to our spirits. When such thoughts come, immediately push them away; do not dwell on them. If it helps, begin to say something (preferably quote an applicable scripture verse) because the mind must occupy itself with what you are saying rather than continue along the wrong line of thought. And definitely spend time reading and ruminating on the word.

Tiffy has offered a couple of good ones. Here are some additional suggestions:

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
    Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
    Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
    Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

1Pe 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
    1Pe 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
    1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
    1Pe 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
    1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
    1Pe 5:11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
    Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
    1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
    1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1Co 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

2Co 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ...

Colossians 2:6-3:17 is another good one (too long to copy here, though).

Also, read all of Chapters 6, 7, & 8 of Romans; and notice that after Paul tells of his own struggles against temptation, he exclaims,
    O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? (Rom. 7:24) He then thanks God (for providing the victory over sin) and proceeds in Ch. 8 to explain that we do have the victory in Christ. Although this victory is not a license to sin (which is why we quickly push sinful thoughts away), thinking on our grace in Christ's victory does remind us that we can have peace of mind (and take comfort) in the knowledge that we do not stand condemned for those stray thoughts.

God is so good to His children!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Geer likes this.
  4. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks, Tiffy and Rexlion

Rexlion likes this.
  5. Curious

Curious New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    A late reply, but I would add exercise, together with the other suggestions listed above.

Exercise helped me after my divorce. Prayer and fasting weren't enough. Once I added exercise things improved.

"An Idle Mind is the Devil's Playground, and Idle Hands are the Devil's Workshop." -- Author Unknown

Cheers.....Curious
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another:
    What! You too? I thought I was the only one." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Tiffy likes this.
  6. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    *Lord have mercy
    Christ have mercy
    Lord have mercy

*Lord Jesus you know the value of my soul, lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
    Bring me back to you.

*Cast into hell all the demons that prowl the earth seeking the ruin of souls.

Kenmtb likes this.