Anglicans and CCM

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Religious Fanatic, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
  2. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Brigid likes this.
  3. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Is it wrong to admit that I am not really that moved by religious music in general? I love the SOUND of the old hymns, but the lyrics always go in one ear and out the other. Same with modern CCM. Is there something wrong with me?

I just got a copy of Hymns: Ancient & Modern which has a collection of various Anglican hymns, and while the performances are quite lovely, it's really just background music for the most part to play while I meditate. Most of the words don't really latch on to me.

4. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    What about the Psalms?

5. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh of course, Psalm 3 is my personal go-to Psalm for encouragement as it relates to things I struggle with often.

6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is a reason that an excellent worship service will engage all five senses: some have a finer perception of one sense than another. The difference can be quite dramatic from person to person.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  7. Brigid

Brigid Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    AngloCatholic
    Just like Liturgy said, some people notice one thing more than another. I'm with you - melody makes a whole more difference to me than lyrics ( except for "Alleluia, Alleluia". I never new the words to a song when I was a teen. They always needed to give me the melody. If that's weird, then I am too.

8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Nothing is wrong with you; you're just different than some other people. No reason why you have to be just like every other Christian or like someone's mental picture of the 'ideal' Christian. The important things are your faith in our Lord and His love in & through you.

9. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Indeed so. Also @ReligiousFanatic might like some of the more ancient hymns and canticles, for example, the Benedicite Omni Opera, the Te Deum Laudamus, or the Byzantine Canon of the Nativity. Anglicanism has a lot of these, but not all, in the BCP, for example, the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete which is the definitive Lenten hymn par excellence, but, the Society of Eastern Rite Anglicans would have this.

I did recently watch a video of an Episcopal parish attempt to do the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, and they did a reasonable job; the main shortcoming was the inanility of the priest or deacon to chant, which ruined the Litanies. While the EO rubrics say you have to have a priest or deacon do the petitions in the litanies, these are not binding on Anglicans, so if the priest cannot personally chant, it seems best to have a chorister do it, or one of the more musically apt members of the congregation.

10. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have a 1662 BCP with a copy of Hymns Ancient & Modern and I love the songs whose themes relate to what God did through the various biblical figures like the apostles and such.

11. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Good! :)