It is May, for Catholics the Month of Mary. What about for Anglicans?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Cameron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    But if a visiting priest undertook to receive the safeguarding training, would that permit such a thing? And what about private services limited to adult members of his party, or services conducted with a C of E priest present and supervising?

2. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Well, first of all, adults only would not negate the need for safeguarding training. It, of course, does not relate to children and young people only. It also covers vulnerable adults. That is, all adults aged seventy-five plus as well as those aged eighteen to seventy-four who may be vulnerable, e.g. physical disability, learning disability, mental health problem, etc.

As I said in my previous post in this discussion I do not know and would have to look this up. So far, I have been unable to find the required information on the Church of England's Web site. I may have to think of another way of approaching it.

If I had to guess a one-off occasion may not present an issue but I cannot be certain. There is a lot of red tape involved these days. For example, if the priest were visiting from outside the UK there would also be issues concerning his immigration status.

The general rule in the CofE is that a priest cannot officiate unless he has some form of permission from the diocesan bishop.

3. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have done some quick research. From what I have discovered it is a legal requirement that neither a deacon nor a priest can officiate at any liturgy in the Church of England unless he is instituted (holds a benefice), is licensed or has permission to officiate (PTO). A PTO is granted by a diocesan bishop at his sole discretion and may be withdrawn without right of appeal. It is only valid in the diocese in which it is issued. So, a priest could not offer Mass in the diocese of Peterborough on the basis he holds a PTO from the Bishop of Ely. He would need a PTO from the Bishop of Peterborough.

In addition to holding a PTO he needs the permission of the priest whose church he will officiate in. For example, to officiate in a parish church he would need the incumbent's permission. In the parish were in interregnum permission would be required from the churchwardens or area dean.

4. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    This is very useful information. Can an Anglican from abroad obtain a PTO?

Regarding immigration status, the passport for US visitors is stamped with “LEAVE TO ENTER FOR SIX MONTHS. EMPLOYMENT AND RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS PROHIBITED.” It would not therefore interfere with volunteer work provided one did not receive any remuneration.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Other than the Purification, Annunciation, and arguably the Nativity, I can't think of any Marian themed feasts identified for Anglicans in the historic BCPs (at least not in the 1928 version). But I'm sure the more modern prayerbooks recognize more.

6. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    That I am unable to answer. I found a number of diocesan websites were more useful in providing the information I discovered rather than the CofE's website. However, I wasn't able to find out what happens if clergy come from overseas.

7. Nevis

Nevis Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Soon it will be May again!

I remember well the German Mai.Andachten = Mai evening prayers
    in my home church.

:yes:

8. Nevis

Nevis Member

Deutschland