Inquiries in the Court of High Commission

Discussion in 'Court of High Commission' started by Lowly Layman, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    If you had said that in the first place I wouldn’t have been shocked or offended. I am as concerned as you are by some things that I hear and read. I do, however, feel that your response to me in the terms you made it was uncalled for and upsetting - a personal attack rather than a polite disagreement with my expressed view.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    There is a great deal you don't get Stalwart and most of it has been taught by Christ. :) I suggest you cool it. :sweating: You are behaving like a bear with a sore head. What is really the matter?

Defending the faith is a laudable objective, but it is well to remember that "Defender of the Faith" was a title awarded Henry the Eighth, and he was hardly considered one of the 'good guys'.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  3. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    I also wasn’t saying that “too much” is being done (generally) in defence of the Christian faith - but in this particular case I felt the argument was going round in circles, getting nowhere and becoming unedifying.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  4. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'm going to day that personal attack was out of order. Nothing justified it.

It's a small step from being strong in defense of the faith to being thought police, attacking anyone with a different opinion.

I have strict commission to maintain order, not get into debates, so I will not comment on this thread.

But I will say it's possible to be firm and still charitable.

Liturgyworks, Tiffy and Christina like this.
  5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

In the interest of keeping the original Inquiry thread focused, the last few general comments have been moved into this general thread, which is about the idea of having Inquiries as such. Please put your concerns, appreciation, and commentary, here.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  6. neminem

neminem Active Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Those that lack discernment, out of fear, tend to stick to rules and regulations instead of the Truth.
    Those that can discern the truth go deeper, as the Word does. They will be seen as a threat by the fearful. No wonder Jesus Christ got crucifed.

Relying on flesh is the same as relying on the pages of the written Word. Spirit is within as much as Truth is within the Word.

Most Christians will, at the End, realize they got it all wrong. That they relied on the wrong thing - their own fearful story about being a Christian.

Tiffy likes this.
  7. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I just want to say how much I love this feature of this community. Out of curiosity are there any restrictions or disqualifiers for membership aside from acceptance of the creeds, formularies, et cetera, or does anyone who adheres to the traditional Anglican doctrine qualify?

Phoenix likes this.
  8. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I disagree, but I also have a question: why do you talk about Flesh as if it is evil? And why do you talk about Jesus Christ and the Word as if they are two different things?

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Your support is appreciated! If you have followed this in real time around 2014-5, you will have seen how many were less than enthusiastic about clear doctrinal lines and unambiguous disciplined enforcement. Many at that time have left the Forums in outrage. When the first (and so far only) membership trial was held a year ago, many of those who became new members had left again. However we remain undeterred and convicted that firm and clear bounds of orthodoxy are the only way forward.

Great question. The creeds and the formularies are the only criteria. We deem them sufficient for establishing Anglican identity, although they establish a “mere Christian” and not exclusively an Anglican. To quote from the original announcement 5 years ago, the Anglican formularies have the advantage of being ...

10. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Well what you have is a community which is respectful, where I feel welcome and comfortable as an Orthodox Christian, even though I am not presently Anglican, but am considering how to help them.

Also frankly I don’t see what the fuss is about, because the Anglican badge is optional, but then again the heretical elements that are trying to destroy the churches we love specialize in outrage-on-demand.

11. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Posted by mistake

12. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Can I just have it clarified what the "formularies" are in respect to Anglican identity

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Absolutely! It is the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, the Church Catechism, and the Articles of Religion.

14. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I myself am leaning towards acceding to this; I just have to make sure I can fully agree with the 1662 BCP on the question of the Eucharist, and I think I can, because it did not stop chaps who I admire of a high church orientation like Rev. Percy Dearmer, who on the contrary demanded it be followed and structured The Parson’s Handbook around the assumption that it was in use, rather than a translation of the Roman Missal or even the actual Roman Missal one would encounter in that same decade at St. Magnus the Martyr.

15. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    By the way, I cannot stress enough my support for this Court and this badge.