Scripture Study before Lectio Divina

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by CFLawrence, Sep 7, 2019.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    Hello Anglican Fellows, I have a simple question. I am taking up the practice of Lectio Divina. I will be reading a book of the Bible for a period of six months or longer. Before I begin I want to spend some time studying the book I choose so I fully grasp the literal meaning before I begin the process of praying over the scripture. Being an ex-Catholic I know nothing about bible commentaries or concordances or bible dictionaries or handbooks. I am not even sure what is a good study Bible to purchase. So once more my good friends I turn to you...

Recommend a good study Bible (annotated?)

Recommend a good bible commentary (one volume or your favorite for a single book like Daniel)

What other texts do you like handy for bible study?

Once more into the fray! I await your responses!

2. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    I’m going to reply to my own post because I’ve discovered some goodies which are also freebies!! I downloaded these onto my iPad.

First there is PocketSword where you can download multiple bible translations, commentaries, dictionaries, and have each all focus on the same chapter of text. Right now I have mine set to use the Geneva Bible with the Geneva commentary, Vine dictionary etc.

I also downloaded John Calvin Commentary. Needs no explanation. It shows KJV with Calvin’s commentary.

Granted these are both Puritan/Reformed but some here may be interested.

3. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    PocketSword sounds interesting... thanks for mentioning it. Regarding a commentary for a single book of the Bible, since you mentioned Daniel, I do have one I can recommend: Paul House's commentary on Daniel, which can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Introduction-Commentary-Testament-Commentaries/dp/083084273X

If you would like a commentary on Psalms, Derek Kidner has authored an excellent two-volume set, also available on Amazon.

CFLawrence likes this.
  4. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian

I’m seriously thinking of spending a lot of time with Daniel. Thank you for the recommendation. Do you have a study Bible you like?

5. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I suppose my first thing to consider when choosing a study Bible is whether the particular translation is a "word for word" translation (formal equivalence) or a "thought for thought" translation (dynamic equivalence). I prefer "word for word" translations so I am partial to versions such as the NASB, the NKJV, and to some extent the ESV. There is an "ESV Study Bible" that does a good job of helping one see Biblical truth without too much partiality to any one viewpoint:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1433553376/

On the other hand, though, I think the "Orthodox Study Bible" is very much worth a look, too, if that is more your cup of tea. It has an Old Testament freshly translated from the Septuagint, if I am not mistaken, and a NKJV New Testament - and the NKJV is a very good translation:

https://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Hardcover-Christianity/dp/0718003594/

Will

CFLawrence likes this.
  6. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian

I think I'll be purchasing the ESV study bible and Daniel commentary you recommended immediately. the psalms commentary I will purchase soon because after all we pray the psalms daily so a good commentary is something valuable to have and study. Thank you Will, all my questions have been answered satisfactorily.

Will_ likes this.
  7. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
  8. Anglo-cracker

Anglo-cracker Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    almost anglican
    I agree, the ESV study bible is a good resourse. It leans Reformed, and that is historically, an aspect of Anglicanism.

Dave Kemp likes this.