Favourite church/cathedral?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by A Garden Gnome, Jul 30, 2019.

1. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anyone got any photos and information about the churches and cathedrals they attend or of their favourite church building? Just thought it might be an interesting thread.

I'll start it off with a picture of my cathedral, Lichfield cathedral, which is incidentally my favourite church building! I believe it's the only three spired cathedral in the UK nowadays. It's patron saints are Our Lady and St Chad of Mercia, whose relics were housed here until the reformation (they're now located in the RC Birmingham cathedral). My parish priest is also a prebendary here which means I visit there fairly frequently for different occasions, which is nice. 1280px-Lichfield_Cathedral_2010-10-13.jpg paul-horton---new-lady-chapel---march-2015---lichfield-cathedral.jpg 26m.jpg

Cooper, Brigid, Stalwart and 3 others like this.
  2. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I never bothered to look at it before, but that blows me away. Splendid!

Among all Cathedrals, the Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky in Sofia is my favourite, hands down, with nothing else even coming close, but among Anglican cathedrals I think I its a complete tie between York Minster, St. Paul’s, the Collegiate Church of St. Peter in Westminster, and Gloucester Cathedral.

St. Alexander Nevsky in Sofia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooper, Anglo-cracker, Shaun and 5 others like this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Mission San José. San Antonio, Texas, United States. The pictured structure dates to 1768, when the location was still Mexican territory.

The right portion of the photo, where open arches are seen, was once a convent.
    SAM_0043.JPG

This is the main entrance to the nave.
    SAM_0052.JPG
    This is a section of the exterior wall where the original manner of painting Mexican churches of this period can be faintly seen.
    SAM_0046.JPG
    SAM_0047.JPG
    SAM_0048.JPG

I always took great joy in visiting this church and I sometimes prayed the Stations of the Cross in it. I never attended a Mass though. At the time I lived in Texas, all the services were conducted in Spanish. I would be surprised if that has changed.

Cooper, Shaun, Brigid and 5 others like this.
  4. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Lovely, gorgeous, and fantastic, but is that a cathedral? Not wanting to nitpick, rather I thought we were limited to cathedrals in this thread, otherwise there are a number of parishes I would have mentioned. I thought parishes and basillicas might go in a separate thread.

Although, oh snap, I just realized Westminster Abbey is not technically a cathedral either, so in lieu of it I am substituting St. John the Divine in New York City.

Stalwart likes this.
  5. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is not the Cathedral although, interestingly, it is the church that the Archdiocese of San Antonio uses as a background on their website. And the high altar is the equal of that in the Cathedral.

Stalwart likes this.
  6. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Fair enough. It sounds like a pro-cathedral or the sort of parish where in the Assyrian church one would find a Chorepiscopus.

Would you perhaps humour me and, in the interests of more pretty pictures in this thread, share with us a full cathedral you rather like?

7. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Diocese of Truro, Cornwall. Church of St Protus and St Hyacinth in the village of Blisland on the edge of Bodmin Moor. Church of Norman origins, present layout dates from 15th century, restored in the late 19th century.

IMG_20190730_224554.jpg

Blisland-3789_1.jpg

Cooper, Anglo-cracker, Shaun and 5 others like this.
  8. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Is that rood screen original?

9. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    No not Medieval, it was installed in the latter part of the 19th century. There are a few surviving Medieval screens in Cornish churches and several in Devon.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  10. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    The original thread started like this: "........information about the churches and cathedrals they attend or of their favourite church building?"
    To me that means that it does not have to be a cathedral.

Shaun and Liturgyworks like this.
  11. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    There are not many churches or cathedrals that I don't like, but my favourite is St. Leonards in Newland, near Malvern. It was built in1863-4.

59593452_1291858747656222_2762613537057538048_o.jpg DcWRrkwWkAATIvJ.jpg S4630005.JPG

Cooper, Shaun, Botolph and 4 others like this.
  12. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A couple that have played a part in my history:

This is St. Michael's in Mathews, North Carolina. It was originally built by the ACC and at some point came into the APA, which currently has jurisdiction. Though I am not in the APA, my jurisdiction has a good relationship with them and they have given us use of the place on occasion. I was ordained to the diaconate here on the feast day of St. Cronan of Roscrea (April 28). This church has some of the best stained glass you will see in a continuing church. (The picture is not of my ordination; this was taken at the episcopal consecration of Bp. Haines.)
    [​IMG]

The next is a sad story. It was a Roman church on the grounds of an orphanage. The orphanage closed and the church fell into disuse. Somehow, a priest in my jurisdiction had come into a very modest lease on the location for Sunday services and occasional diocesan events. To my knowledge, the last service of Holy Communion conducted in this church was my ordination service on the Feast day of Blessed William Tyndale (October 6). The owners of the property try to market the location as a destination wedding chapel for the greater Richmond area.
    181006a.jpg 181006p.jpg

Cooper, Shaun, Botolph and 6 others like this.
  13. Oliver Sanderson

Oliver Sanderson Member

UK
    The Cathedral in Lincoln, which was, until the main spire collapsed, the tallest building in the world (replacing the Pyramid of Giza which held the title for nearly 4,000 years). It also helps that it's not stuffed full of tourists like Durham and York.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cooper, Shaun, Botolph and 7 others like this.
  14. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    "It also helps that it's not stuffed full of tourists like Durham and York"

That's the same with Lichfield Cathedral. It certainly helps with the atmosphere, although these huge old English cathedrals require an immense amount of money to maintain, so tourism, in one regard, is quite beneficial.

15. Oliver Sanderson

Oliver Sanderson Member

UK
    This is true. I went to Durham Cathedral at the weekend and the staff told me it needs £150,000 a week just for maintenance.

Juliana, Liturgyworks and Stalwart like this.
  16. Symphorian

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Cathedral Church of the BVM, Truro, Cornwall. Late 19th century Gothic Revival. Incorporates an aisle of the former parish church now known as St Mary's Aisle. Has a Hanging Pyx for reservation of the Blessed Sacrament. Very fine 4 manual Father Willis organ and a 2 manual English Baroque organ by Renatus Harris in St Mary's Aisle.

inCollage_20190731_223247307.jpg inCollage_20190731_223343517.jpg
    inCollage_20190731_221652932.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555529177535.jpg

The Diocese of Truro was carved out of the expansive Diocese of Exeter. Several sites were considered for use as the Cathedral Church including the
    Priory of St Germanus at St Germans in East Cornwall which was the site of the Old Cornish See until the mid 11th century. St Germanus is itself a very fine Norman building with twin towers set in beautiful grounds.

27288355836_cab5ec6a12_b.jpg

Cooper, Shaun, Brigid and 3 others like this.
  17. Taiping

Taiping New Member Anglican

Malaysia
    Religion:
    Christian
    The cathedral I go to has a Father Willis organ as well :D

St. Mary's Cathedral, Kuala Lumpur:
    IMG_20170604_102502.jpg IMG_20170820_175454.jpg IMG_20171217_165908.jpg IMG_20180325_174656.jpg

Cooper, Will_, Shaun and 3 others like this.
  18. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I went to Lichfield Cathedral and very long time ago but I do remember thinking it was a lovely cathedral.

I am struggling to find myself able to say which is my favourite church. There are a few I can nominate and I am very nostalgic for my former parish church which has been closed and is just being left to rot :disgust:

I do have to say I really like Ripon Cathedral for two reasons. Although it is not particularly outstanding in terms of its architecture I always real very welcome when I go there. The other reason is I do not get the feeling that their main interest is the contents of my wallet, which, I am afraid, is an almost too common occurrence in many cathedrals. In fact, that is why I have never been back to Chester. I was disgusted in the way I had to queue for a pay booth which reminded me very much of the not too far away zoo.

19. Oliver Sanderson

Oliver Sanderson Member

UK
    The same can be said of Durham Cathedral, which reminded me not of a zoo but of the Money Changers.

Juliana likes this.
  20. Shaun

Shaun Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Having grown up in Canterbury and sung as part of my school choir there a few times, it's only right I include Canterbury Cathedral as one of my favourites.

[​IMG]
    The Christchurch Gate with the new (1990) statue of Christ; the original was destroyed in 1643

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liturgyworks, Brigid, Will_ and 3 others like this.