Recently returned

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mark Carrigher, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mark Carrigher

Mark Carrigher New Member

England
    Religion:
    C of E
    Hi all, I'm Mark from England. I grew up in the evangelical tradition, born again Christianity into my teens where I turned away from god and refused him for 20 years.

I am now 36 and feel terrible guilt for turning my back on god but I am repenting and rebuilding my relationship with him day by day. As I've matured I have learned more about the various forms of Christianity and I now realise I was rejecting a the specifics of the born again, perhaps more fundamentalist pathway of the faith. I prefer liturgy, quiet reflection, intellectual debate and ideas of higher criticism and not being so forceful in my duty to convert others.

These views have led me to mainline Anglicanism via the Church of England. I must say, I don't want to cause offence to my evangelical/ born again brothers and sisters but I feel this path fits me and my beliefs much better. I'd love to hear anyone's views on the above.

I have a question, I want to partake in the daily prayers and I'm using the daily prayer app from the Cof E but it's a little confusing to a me. Could anyone offer me guidance on using this format alone at home? Do I follow the format word for word? In lots of places it says 'all' in bold as if the congregation would say these bits in a service which makes me wonder is it for lone use at Home also? I love the idea of using the same as the rest of the Anglican community each day but need a little help if possible. OK speak soon

Mark

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum, and welcome home, to the Church. I like the Daily Prayer App and I use it, perhaps not as much as I should. For me, having played with books and the like, I have just found it convenient. I generally have my phone everywhere I go, and for me it just opens on the day, and I select MP or EP, and it responds to the time zone my phone is in, so while you are saying evening pray I may well be saying morning prayer.

This really is the traditional office of the church, largely developed from the old monastic routines. The advantage of the App is that the canticles and readings are all set up and you just go. If you need to pause and reflect at any time, I just do. Sometimes there are interruptions, like the announcer when I am reading the office on a train. just before the end there is ample space for intercessions and the like.

If a friend of mine also uses the App, and we are meeting at an appropriate space and time, we might say the office together, talking the parts, and saying much together. For the most part I simply read it as a simple whole, knowing that I am reading this with many all around the planet.

Mark Carrigher and Shaun like this.
  3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Welcome Mark.

If you're using the app on your own you would indeed follow the format word for word. Essentially you'd say both the standard black text and the bold black text designated 'All'.

Using the app is more straightforward than using the 'Daily Prayer' book where you'd also need a Lectionary and Bible and be prepared for a certain amount of page flipping.

Mark Carrigher likes this.
  4. Shaun

Shaun Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
  5. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Welcome back home and to the forum. :)

6. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Welcome!

7. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Welcome!

8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Howdy, Mark! We are all on a roundabout journey. I was raised Roman Catholic, left in my late 20s for a pentecostal church, followed that with a Word of Faith church, then back to pentecostal briefly, and about 8 months ago found a new home in Anglicanism. I too am enjoying the liturgy, the traditional music, the reverent atmosphere, and regular Eucharist.

As you begin this new and better chapter in your life, I hope you won't let yourself be beaten down with guilt. Jesus paid the penalty in full for your wayward ways. You are the 'prodigal son' who returned home, and all of heaven rejoices! If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be this: consider reading the 1st and 2nd chapters of Ephesians every single day for the next two or three weeks; let the message of those two chapters soak into you really good.

Be blessed, and be a blessing!

Mark Carrigher, Dave Kemp and Shaun like this.
  9. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome!

I use the app as well as the BCP itself, the app is very handy as I work shifts but prefer the BCP and Bible when I’m at home.

Mark Carrigher and Juliana like this.
  10. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    Welcome back to the Faith, Mark.
    I also come from an evangelical background, and have enjoyed the quietness and liturgy of the Anglican services for about 18 months now. It felt like coming home at last.
    Thank you for mentioning the Daily Prayer App. I did not know about that, but have just looked for it now, and installed it on my phone. So far I have used a book, but this seems very good to use!

Rexlion likes this.
  11. Mark Carrigher

England
    Religion:
    C of E

Thanks for the lovely message, I'm glad to hear you're finding a similar benefit to me :) As I've become a bit more comfortable I've been using the books more and more, I quite like the feel of the real books etc. Lectionary, Common Worship and a Bible mean a fair bit of jumping around the pages but I don't mind it. The apps great for convenience though! Where snouts do you go to church?

Juliana likes this.
  12. Mark Carrigher

England
    Religion:
    C of E
    Brilliant response, thanks so much for these words. I will now start to add Ephesians in for sure, you have me intrigued!

13. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    Yes, I love real books too! We go to several churches in Cumbria. In some of them there is only one service a month, so we travel around a bit. But every so often we go to an Anglo-Catholic church is Worcestershire, when we stay with family.
    I love the reverence of the traditional services with the liturgy.

Brigid and Mark Carrigher like this.