Roman Benefiting From Daily Office

Discussion in 'New Members' started by rcconvert, Jun 21, 2019.

1. rcconvert

rcconvert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Dear Team Anglican Forum:

My name is Mike, and I am a Roman Catholic Convert (1991 while serving in the US Army). I love liturgy and tradition. I stumbled across the ACNA Daily Office and the Anglican Pastor website--shout out to Joshua Steele who is the editor. I am a fully committed Catholic. I am open to "things" from other churches that may draw me closer to Christ. The Sacred Scriptures are highly venerated in the RCC. The Daily Office promoted by the ACNA make it easy to incorporate the Sacred Scriptures into my ordinary life. I look forward to charitable and frank discussions. Check out the quotes below from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"102 Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely:64

You recall that one and the same Word of God extends throughout Scripture, that it is one and the same Utterance that resounds in the mouths of all the sacred writers, since he who was in the beginning God with God has no need of separate syllables; for he is not subject to time.65
    103 For this reason, the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord's Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God's Word and Christ's Body.66"

Liturgyworks likes this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome among us. As an Anglican I have had a couple of turns around the block with the Roman Breviary, and have come back to an Anglican Office, possibly just because it is my comfort zone. I quite like the Australian approach which takes an approach to the whole week, so you have MP and EP for each day of the week, so a wider spread of canticles.

And let me say welcome among us.

Liturgyworks and rcconvert like this.
  3. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Welcome to the Forum.

rcconvert likes this.
  4. Shaun

Shaun Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    :signwelcome:

rcconvert likes this.
  5. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Welcome, indeed!

rcconvert likes this.
  6. rcconvert

rcconvert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Dear Botolph,

Do you have a link or website for the Australian approach? Thank you.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  7. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Welcome.

The Church of England provides a couple of good apps. One is 'Daily Prayer' which includes Morning, Evening and Night Prayer. You can switch between traditional and contempory language. Another is 'Time to Pray' which provides a shorter daily office.

I sometimes delve into the Roman LOTH as I like the readings from the Church Fathers in the Office of Readings.

When ++Cranmer conflated the Sarum Offices into Morning and Evening Prayer for the First BCP of 1549 he wanted a more systematic scheme of scripture readings. Consequently the Anglican Office has relatively long readings from the Old and New Testaments as opposed to the short readings that are still found in the Roman Offices of Lauds and Vespers.

rcconvert likes this.
  8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    rcconvert likes this.
  9. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Hi there. From a former RC, welcome to the forum. We all have our favorite flavor of denomination, but the important thing (which unites us) is that we all believe and trust in Jesus' redemptive work for our salvation.

10. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Welcome, RCConvert!

My move from non-denominationalism to Anglicanism was aided by the Roman Catholic Church - playing music for Mass and attending weekly Vespers laid the foundation for my eventual love and appreciation for liturgy. I like your tradition's version of the Daily Office, though I feel ours is simultaneously more robust and more simple. Super glad you're enjoying that piece of our heritage!

Dave Kemp and rcconvert like this.
  11. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi, sadly not. The Australian Church has been very slow on this issue. One of the problems happened with the publishing of the last Prayer Book the copyright was vested in a subsidiary of a Catholic publishing house, so effectively the Church gave away the copyright in its own liturgy.

The previous Prayer Book also had a round of daily offices, and effectively very similar, and that book was called An Australian Prayer Book, and you may find it in a 2nd hand bookshop. I had a few copies by recently sent them elsewhere to a ACNA friend who had need of them. The current book is called A Prayer Book for Australia and it is a bit bigger but you may find it somewhere.

Numbers of Australian parishes have resorted to making use of Common Worship, which has been authorised in many places in whole or in part. The Daily Office from common worship is available as an ap for a smartphone Daily Prayer. This can also be accessed on a computer at https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/join-us-daily-prayer

rcconvert likes this.
  12. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    We all have our favorite flavor of denomination, but the important thing (which unites us) is that we all believe and trust in Jesus' redemptive work for our salvation.[/QUOTE]
    I have to admit I like several flavors... High Church Lutheran..The Daily Office which Anglicanism offers...

13. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Which Roman Breviary?

14. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Oh snap. Now you see why I like the Episcopalian approach of releasing as much as possible into the public domain (one result of this is that every non-RC liturgical denomination in the US since the 19th century has used liturgical forms influenced by the 1789 BCP and its successors).

15. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am really not sure now, it was some time back. It was one a friend gave me, which I think is no longer in my posession, though most of my library is now in storage. From memory it was fairly thick, and had a dusty blue cover with a cross on it.

I think the absolute standard for any Church with a liturgy is either to vest the copyright in themselves, or to place it emphatically in the public domain.

I always loved Sydney Carter's poem on the subject, which as I recall ran:

This is the song that has no copyright
    The Pagans and the Jews
    can sing another lyric if the choose
    The Christian publishers cannot agree
    they still expect a moral ten percent
    they can't collect.​

Invictus likes this.
  16. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Kewlness. A positive post for the Episcopalians. :)