Looking to Research Anglicanism

Discussion in 'New Members' started by bwallac2335, May 1, 2019.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am a Methodist born and raised. Recently with all the craziness going on in the Methodist world I thought I should look into other denominations. There is an Episcopal Church where I live and two Anglican Churches about an hour away. The Episcopal Church is a no go for me. But where are good resources to study Anglicanism. Also there is a Continuing Anglican Church about and hour away. What is the difference between Continuing Anglicans and the Anglican Church in North America?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Hello friend, resources on this site are probably a good idea, just pick a topic... If you want the most basic views, the Church Catechism and the commentaries on it would be a good start

Also, Nowell's CAtechism seemed interesting, although I have only flipped through it

The Anglican Church in North America is essentially the replacement for the heretical Episcopal Church, and over the course of the next decade or two, with the membership in the Episcopal church collapsing through the floor, you will see ACNA be the Anglican Province over north america... Even at present, it is recognized by the majority of the world's Anglican primates, and our Primate and Metropolitan is also the chairman of Gafcon, which is the alliance of the world's Anglican primates

The continuing Anglicans probably started with good intentions in the 70s, when they splintered off from the episcopal church over the heresy of women's ordination, but they have never intended to form a new Province, and have essentially frozen in space, with 0 evangelism or recruitment... They are almost all very old, and retired

What I am seeing with them now looks like they will just merge into some sort of an Old Catholic movement, with the Polish Catholic Church and other similar fringe groups

dariakus likes this.
  3. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    This saddens me to read this as I love TEC. I was very excitedly and proudly received into TEC this past Easter. We had 4 confirmed and 1 received (myself). While I understand the angst against TEC, (angst may not be the correct word, but I hope ya'll understand what I'm trying to say) I still love it non-the-less. I hope should what you described happening to TEC does indeed happen, that it would happen after I am dead and gone from this world. I would have NO church to attend should TEC fold.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Don’t you think that the Anglican Church you’re in must above all else serve the first, second, and third persons of the Holy Trinity, the ancient of days who created our universe?

dariakus likes this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Anglican74, if I may suggest, perhaps you could provide a couple of links to the documents you mention? I have only been on this forum for a month or two, and I did copy this one link to Nowell's Catechism:
    https://www.anglican.net/works/alex...he-institution-of-christian-religion-1572/#p7
    But it puzzles me that I don't know (and surely no newbie will know) where or how to find any other documents on this site. I see nothing on the home page that will take me to a 'documents' section... or maybe my eyes are too blurry to see it, that's always possible.

EDIT: Ok, my mistake was that I was looking on the "forums" home page. Now I see it! The link we need is https://www.anglican.net/
    Anglican
    Forums Church Catechism Articles of Religion 1604 Canons Homilies Jewel: Apology of the Church of England Life of J. Jewel (1685)
    King: On Predestination Ellis: Defense of the 39 Articlss Swadlin: Presbyterian, Roman, or Catholic? Swadlin: Letters to a Papist & a Presbyterian
    Bancroft: Sermon at Paul's Cross (1588) Andrewes: On Justification Andrewes: On Episcopacy Patrick: Consolatory Discourse in Times of Danger
    History of Lambeth Articles; views of Andrewes, Overall Beveridge: Catechism Explained Bp. Williams: Persevering in Time of Afflictions (1628)
    Bp. Sparrow: Rationale upon Common Prayer Convocation Book; Government of Catholic Church & Kingdoms (1606)(Large)
    Bilson: Perpetual Government of Christ's Church (1593)(Large) Scougal: The Life of God in the Soul of Man (1677)
    Alexander Nowell, “Middle Catechism” / “Catechism or the Institution of Christian Religion, to be Learned of all Youth” (1572)
    Lent: Several Statutes for the Observation of Lent Thomas Becon: A Fruitful Treatise of Fasting (1551)
    John Jewel, “A Treatise of the Sacraments” (1583) Samuel Saywell, “The Holy Rite of Confirmation” (1745)

dariakus likes this.
  6. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Project Canterbury has a lot of good resources as well.

dariakus likes this.